Brand New Retirement Option Bang Sare

Post by Undaunted »

This is a new development targeted to seniors:

https://www.differenceresidence.com/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
mahjongguy

Re: Brand New Retirement Option Bang Sare

Post by mahjongguy »

Or, for 20,000 baht I could just hire a hit man to come shoot me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Before I would make a judgment I would go out and see it for myself. I would ask residents what they think of it. I would want to know if renting, rather then buying, is available. Seems to me if you've reached the age when living in that sort of place is necessary, then you've probably also reached the age when renting would make much more sense than buying.

I would want to know what you have to pay for besides the place to live - Utilities? Internet? Food? In other words, what would it really cost to live there?

Looking at what is on their web site, the most obvious disadvantage is the location. It seems awfully far from much of anything and it looks like a good half hour drive to get to any of the local hospitals, and you can add to that the time it would take for an ambulance to get out there.

I would consider such a place if I ever become incapacitated, am diagnosed with Alzheimer's, or something happens that causes me to no longer be able to take care of myself without help.

If I ever get Alzheimer's I would want to know who becomes in control of my money and how would visa renewals be handled?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

The place actually looks like a good option for the disabled and/or handicapped senior's.

It's certainly out in the middle of nowhere, but no different than most retirement homes where peaceful surroundings are the priority.

They advertise having a doctor, medical clinic, and ambulance on the premises. Regardless of the location, not having to wait a half hour or longer for an ambulance is a big plus. Judging from the location they appear to be about 20 minutes from Queen Sirikit Hospital.

They also advertise having a Retirement Visa Service on the premises. I wonder if that's where Big Joke is working now.

If I was a silver hair (as one day I will be) and became disabled or handicapped buying a unit here would be a nice option to have.

I have an expat friend who stayed at a similar place up in Chaing Mai and he couldn't say enough good things about it.

Personally, I would rather take the big journey North (or South depending of what mood the boss is in that day) rather than be stuck in a wheel chair watching the flowers grow, but I also know that's it's easy to say until the time comes.

I wonder if they allow boy visits for recreational therapy?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:24 pm I wonder if they allow boy visits for recreational therapy?
If you end up in such a place and still even want that, "te salute, Don Corleone . . ."
ก้นconnoisseur

Post by ก้นconnoisseur »

Dodger wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 4:24 pmI wonder if they allow boy visits for recreational therapy?
Not without a joiner fee, I'll wager.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

I always wonder what will the place look like in ten years?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Asia Traveler wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 8:00 pm I always wonder what will the place look like in ten years?
All things considered that will probably not be an issue for most folks staying there :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

I cannot imagine many people moving there until they have to.
Gaybutton wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 3:00 pm If I ever get Alzheimer's I would want to know who becomes in control of my money and how would visa renewals be handled?
That's an interesting problem, since any lifelong gay isn't going to have any offspring and any other relatives may well be on the other side of the planet.
Actually, it's not just Alzeimher's. If one gets knocked down by a bus, who is going to deal with your medical or travel insurance & ensure you're getting the best medical care that the policy will pay for?
aussie

Post by aussie »

Jun wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:38 am I cannot imagine many people moving there until they have to.

If one gets knocked down by a bus, who is going to deal with your medical or travel insurance & ensure you're getting the best medical care that the policy will pay for?
I asked two very reliable friends living here in Thailand to be contacts for me in case of emergency. They have the contact details of my relatives overseas and details of my health insurance etc. I carry in my wallet a photo copy of my passport, visa, departure card and details to phone or email my emergency contacts here and overseas. My Thai health care card is also in my wallet which may quicken the check in at a hospital. Hopefully it helps to get the best medical care if needed.