Medical Exams

Anything and everything about Thailand
Dodger

Medical Exams

Post by Dodger »

Just a tidbit of information for anyone planning to get a Medical Exam.

I know some retiree's who get these every year or two just for preventive purposes, and others, like myself, who do this only when they are told they have to. I just went through this fun endeavor earlier this week only because my health insurance company said it was mandatory for the policy I want.

In any event, private hospitals like Bangkok Pattaya or Pattaya Memorial Hospitals are charging upwards of 11,000 baht for a full medical exam and Queen Sirikit Hospital only charges 4,000 baht. I know it's an inconvenient location for most, but the 7,000 baht you'd save could buy a bunch of beers and a couple of short times, so it may be worth considering.

One drawback with Queen Sirikit is the long queue time. Most of you guys stay glued to those smart phones 24/7 anyway so I think you'd survive the long wait. Personally, I'm not into smart phones, or for that fact, any phones. I just enjoyed myself watching all the young naval recruits browsing around the lobby and food courts. I had my eyes glued on this one dream who was wearing these snug fitting khaki shorts that appeared as if they were spray painted on his perfectly sculptured ass. I didn't hear my number being called the first time. Fortunately they announced it again. I just love a Boy in uniform.

Cheers
Jun

Re: Medical Exams

Post by Jun »

Is there any difference in what they check on the Queen Sikirit 4000 baht deal compared with the other more expensive hospitals?
Some of the Bangkok hospitals have a range of packages and anyone with a family history of certain issues might want to include checks for such things.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Does that hospital accept appointments rather than having to wait a long time as a walk-in?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Check-ups at Bumrungrad Hospital are probably the most expensive. For one that includes cancer screening you have to lash out almost Bt. 24,000! You can make an appointment but you’ll have to bring your own entertainment as there is little chance of bumping into sculpted sailor bodies or asses unfortunately.

https://www.bumrungrad.com/en/health-ch ... p-packages
richsilver

Post by richsilver »

Phayathai Hospital, a first class facility, regularly has excellent sales on their check-up packages and Bangkok Hospital Pattaya has a half-price sale every year. It's really not necessary to suffer long waits at public hospitals.

Most experts recommend annual exams for us Sogs (slightly older guys). Waiting until you have symptoms is foolish, I feel.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

richsilver wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:50 pm half-price sale every year.
I was not aware of that. How does one find out about these sales, the prices, and when they're available?
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Jun wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:11 pm Is there any difference in what they check on the Queen Sikirit 4000 baht deal compared with the other more expensive hospitals?
Some of the Bangkok hospitals have a range of packages and anyone with a family history of certain issues might want to include checks for such things.
None that I can see.

This is my third full medical exam in Thailand over the years: One at Bangkok Pattaya about 7 years ago, another at Rutinin Eye Hospital Bangkok in 2017 and now Queen Sirikit, and the tests/exams and lab analysis performed were all the same.

GB.

Unfortunately, they don't make appointments at Queen Sirikit.

If you were ever interested in giving them a try you will want to call the main number first (038 245 700) - explain what you want - and they will tell you to show up Monday through Friday at 7:30 - 8:00 AM. They will also tell you what room number you should go to. It would be advisable to first stop at the information counter and have them produce an ID card for you. This is just a time saver up the road.

As a side note: If by chance you go for an exam make sure not to eat or go to the bathroom in the morning or you may be challenged (as I was) to produce the stool sample. I sat in the hung nam so long my ass got welded to the toilet seat.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:46 pm I sat in the hung nam so long my ass got welded to the toilet seat.
I could have lived what's left of my life without knowing that . . .
Jun

Post by Jun »

The range of what's included in these examinations can vary considerably, as shown by the BCH and Bangkok hospital menus below.
Anyone choosing to go might want to look at what's included, particularly if there have been certain issues in the family.

However, as far as I can see, BCH is way better value than Bangkok hospital as at first glance the most expensive BCH package is broadly comparable with some more expensive mid-range Bangkok hospital packages, for less money. I went to BCH a couple of years ago, based on a reasonably priced offer and a short walk from my hotel.
Incidentally, the NHS does a "free" medical for 50 year olds. They asked a few questions, did a urine test, checked my pulse & blood pressure and that was it. I don't even need to go to the damn doctor for such basic checks !
If you happen to be lucky enough to be with one of the better GP practices, they will send even people in their 20s off for check ups if there is a family history of heart problems etc. At the worse GP practices, they fail to get the tests done to diagnose cancer & other such things, even when a seriously ill patient is in front of them.
Hence my interest in Thai private sector healthcare.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm not familiar with BCH hospital. What is the full name of the hospital? Location?