Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Anything and everything about Thailand
pong

Re: Why Are Thailand's Gay Message Boards Dying?

Post by pong » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm

being just in a house-move, not much time, but:
1.about any of the regular western boards (mostly non-gay) are in slow decline. For former job I had to peruse several of touristy-fora (about general issues, trends etc.) and these go the same way.
2.there ARE some new western Thai-gay blogs etc, which I discovered just by chance (googling on a rainy afternoon or so) and these were never ever mentioned here nor the places they advised. When they finally turn up I'll try to give them a link here. So it may also apply that the youngis simply have their own channels instead.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm

pong wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm
So it may also apply that the youngis simply have their own channels instead.
That's very likely right. Young people probably are not particularly interested in things like how much to tip boys, retirement visas, and medical insurance requirements . . .

Undaunted

Post by Undaunted » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:12 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm
pong wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:02 pm
So it may also apply that the youngis simply have their own channels instead.
That's very likely right. Young people probably are not particularly interested in things like how much to tip boys, retirement visas, and medical insurance requirements . . .
Or stool softeners :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"

deanagam

Post by deanagam » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:21 pm

That is probably true because of better dentition and being partial to fruits and vegetables.

Jun

Post by Jun » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 pm

Gaybutton wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:27 pm
I imagine the preferences of young people have nothing to do with the decline of gay message boards, since the population of most countries is ageing & in particular, the type of countries from which we draw board members. For every 100 people who pass away, considerably more than 100 people will grow into the age bracket where these topics are relevant.

I do note that a couple of other members have now also picked up on the idea that there is a decline in message boards for other completely different topics. The idea that people are not participating in boards because they have other claims on their time, such as Instagram, Facebook, Whats App Line & Twitter seems the most likely explanation to me. Travelling on the train, I notice no end of people having chat conversations on Whats' App. Then there are all the daft games, plus new apps like Tik Tok (whatever that is).

In a world with more competition, what we do to draw in more members is another challenge.

Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:43 pm

The closing of other non-related message boards is a good point. There are few boards I was a member of and overtime I watch the participation rate drop to the point that those boards have closed

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:56 am

Jun wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:22 pm
In a world with more competition, what we do to draw in more members is another challenge.
As it is for business corporations. In that field, the mantra is generally "adapt or die". Examples abound - Sony's Betamax, Toys R Us, Blockbuster, MySpace, Ford's Edsel, Trusthouse Forte (which included the Travelodge and Le Meridien hotel groups) . . .

Can chat boards like the three Thai boards actually achieve that? If they try, the problem then becomes: how do you adapt a product or service without alienating existing customers? Lots of challenges.