New Hopes For Wannabe British Expats

Post by Undaunted »

New process for Brits applying in the U.K. for long term visas to Thailand:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/expats/ ... n-thailand
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
fountainhall

Re: New Hops For Wannabe British Expats

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm New process for Brits applying in the U.K. for long term visas to Thailand:

Hops meaning Hope or Hoops I wonder?

This just confuses the issue.

I am sure all UK citizens intending to retire will apply for the O-A visa giving them a full year or a year and 364 days if they leave the Kingdom just prior to the end of Year 1. They will then convert to the Retirement "visa" before the end of the 2 years.

I cannot imagine anyone over 50 planning to retire wanting to bother with an O visa for periods of just 90 days and then having to leave the Kingdom after each. The O-A works perfectly well and is far simpler.
Undaunted

Re: New Hops For Wannabe British Expats

Post by Undaunted »

fountainhall wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:56 pm
Undaunted wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:41 pm New process for Brits applying in the U.K. for long term visas to Thailand:

Hops meaning Hope or Hoops I wonder?

This just confuses the issue.

I am sure all UK citizens intending to retire will apply for the O-A visa giving them a full year or a year and 364 days if they leave the Kingdom just prior to the end of Year 1. They will then convert to the Retirement "visa" before the end of the 2 years.

Lol....Hoops :!:

I cannot imagine anyone over 50 planning to retire wanting to bother with an O visa for periods of just 90 days and then having to leave the Kingdom after each. The O-A works perfectly well and is far simpler.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
ChrisUK

Re: New Hopes For Wannabe British Expats

Post by ChrisUK »

Thanks for alerting the Brits to the new "hops/hopes/hoops" they have to go through to obtain an appropriate visa for staying long time in Thailand. As a long stay visitor of 5 or 6 months each year for the last 12 years, I have used the multiple entry O visa to my advantage. As this is now only available as a single entry visa, it looks as though I will have to reduce my trips to 3 months only. Unfortunately, I have aleady booked my flights for the original expected trip of 5 months, so I wll have to change the return flight at a cost of £130 + any price difference. Shame really because I used to love spending long time with friends in Thailand without having to retire there full time. I lose, they lose and Thailand loses.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa availabe but it's too late for me to build up a financial record acceptable to the embassy to apply for it. With it, I could enter Thailand for my 5 months and do two border runs, so maybe next year! :roll:
Sanook; just want to have fun in the sun
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

For UK citizens Age 50+..GOOD NEWS

E visa application update for O-A visa applications.

You now need only to show 1 month of income of 65,000 baht (Approx £1650) or a bank statement showing you have had the 800,000 baht or (Approx £20,000) in an account for 1 month and not 3 months as previously required.
The London Thai Embassy website will be updated later to reflect the change.

Tj
Jun

Post by Jun »

ChrisUK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 pm Thanks for alerting the Brits to the new "hops/hopes/hoops" they have to go through to obtain an appropriate visa for staying long time in Thailand. As a long stay visitor of 5 or 6 months each year for the last 12 years, I have used the multiple entry O visa to my advantage. As this is now only available as a single entry visa, it looks as though I will have to reduce my trips to 3 months only. Unfortunately, I have aleady booked my flights for the original expected trip of 5 months, so I wll have to change the return flight at a cost of £130 + any price difference.
Why not just keep your original booking and book a low cost airline trip to somewhere like Siem Reap or Phnom Penh to get around any visa rules ?
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

ChrisUK wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:37 pm Thanks for alerting the Brits to the new "hops/hopes/hoops" they have to go through to obtain an appropriate visa for staying long time in Thailand. As a long stay visitor of 5 or 6 months each year for the last 12 years, I have used the multiple entry O visa to my advantage. As this is now only available as a single entry visa, it looks as though I will have to reduce my trips to 3 months only. Unfortunately, I have aleady booked my flights for the original expected trip of 5 months, so I wll have to change the return flight at a cost of £130 + any price difference. Shame really because I used to love spending long time with friends in Thailand without having to retire there full time. I lose, they lose and Thailand loses.

There is a multiple entry tourist visa availabe but it's too late for me to build up a financial record acceptable to the embassy to apply for it. With it, I could enter Thailand for my 5 months and do two border runs, so maybe next year! :roll:
IF you are age 50+...this is best for you...O-A visa..

For UK citizens Age 50+..GOOD NEWS

E visa application update for O-A visa applications.

You now need only to show 1 month of income of 65,000 baht (Approx £1650) or a bank statement showing you have had the 800,000 baht or (Approx £20,000) in an account for 1 month and not 3 months as previously required.
The London Thai Embassy website will be updated later to reflect the change.

Tj
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

Its reported today that another end around option is still open for Brits...Thai Consulate Liverpool

"And so far for the E-Visa and on-line applications in the UK. Call the Thai Consulate in Liverpool, get an email, reply and within hours application approved. There is always a loophole to get what you want."

FYI for anyone wanting to get a non B at Liverpool UK you need to call them, they will send you an email requesting you scan and send the documents to them by email. They then send it to London to be pre approved and then offer you an appointment to collect. £70 for same day collection.

Side note- the guarantor, I put my mother for UK and left Thailand blank.

I sent it yesterday, it was approved and I received my appointment within 4 hours!

"They also sent me the application form I had to print, complete, scan and send it together with the documents.

For the actual appointment you need 2 passport photos (as normal) and she said I didn't need to take the original documents as all approved!"

Tj