Gaybutton - nearly killed, but will be ok

Anything and everything about Thailand
richsilver

Re: Gaybutton - nearly killed, but will be ok

Post by richsilver »

Your report should give those cheap Charlies something to think about before trying to save a few baht by going to government hospitals.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

GB,

I'm so sorry to hear about this - but very glad that you escaped without more serious injuries.

The airbag should definitely have released. If it did not you may be entitled to a lot more than just a new car out of this deal.

In any event, the most important thing is that you are OK and apparently in good hands.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Firstly, I hope you get well soon.

Secondly:
1 If you were not wearing a seatbelt, you would not be here. I can't stress enough how important wearing seat belts is. Thais often don't seem to get it. Going head first through your windscreen at 30mph is really bad for life expectancy.

2 Looking at the damage to the bonnet (hood), did the front of the car go under the truck ? That's obviously very dangerous. The UK has had legal requirements for a under-run protection since approximately 1989, so if you hit a truck, there is some structure to prevent the car going under it.

3 Might be worth getting an airbag on the next car. With an airbag, you would have almost certainly not had the rib injuries.
Latest spec cars in Europe even have systems that can apply the brakes automatically, but I'm not so keen on that.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

May I go off on a slight tangent and remind everyone to wear seat belts when sitting in the back of a car. Most taxis now in Bangkok have them fitted but I rarely see anyone wearing them. 25 years ago I was at a meeting in California. One evening a business colleague was driving three of us to dinner along Highway 1. Suddenly an idiot in a car parked in front of us did a U-turn and with almost no warning we slammed into its side. The two of us in the back seat were not wearing seat belts. Mercifully we were only beaten up quite badly. Had we been wearing them, it is unlikely we would have had more than a sore chest from the belt. Since then I have always worn belts in the back of a vehicle.
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

Very scary both the crash and the initial medical treatment. Best wishes for a fast and full recovery. Question is Bangkok-Pattaya Hospital part of the Bangkok Hospital Group?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:03 pm The airbag should definitely have released.
It probably would have if the car had one. It didn't. The car was not equipped with an airbag.

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:46 pm May I go off on a slight tangent and remind everyone to wear seat belts when sitting in the back of a car.
That is precisely how General George Patton died. After World War 2 was over, Patton was still stationed in Germany. He was in the back seat of a car when a minor fender-bender happened, the kind nobody would be expected to be injured at all. But somehow Patton's neck was broken and he died as a result of that injury.

You just never know from one minute to the next.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Interesting comparison to you and Gen. Patton :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 5:46 pm May I go off on a slight tangent and remind everyone to wear seat belts when sitting in the back of a car.
A very good point. Wearing seat belts in the back is just as important as in the front. In a 30 mph accident, the only difference is you take a few more milliseconds to go through the windscreen. Or alternatively, the skulls of the rear seat passengers without seatbelts collide with the front passengers who are wearing seatbelts & both parties die. So I make sure my rear seat passengers wear belts.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm Interesting comparison to you and Gen. Patton :!:
Mentioning how Gen. Patton died, in response to fountainhall's post, is comparing myself to him? Ok . . .
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 7:16 pm
Undaunted wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:30 pm Interesting comparison to you and Gen. Patton :!:
Mentioning how Gen. Patton died, in response to fountainhall's post, is comparing myself to him? Ok . . .
You will always be my General :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"