Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

Anything and everything about Thailand
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

I love Thailand.. Its a great and beautiful country to visit or retire.
Go with the flow is my recommendation.

"We are, after all, guests in the Kingdom of Thailand and it’s up to us to find a way around THEIR systems, as best we can."

https://thethaiger.com/thai-life/top-10 ... t-thailand

Tj
daherk

Re: Top 10 hard truths of living as an expat in Thailand

Post by daherk »

Oh so true!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

daherk wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:49 amOh so true!
Especially the part about the road toll - which I found out the hard way . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Thanks for posting this TJ.

The author of the article has certainly spent a considerable amount of time here and knows what he's talking about. This article, being compared to so many others where the person who wrote the article didn't have the foggiest clue of the realities of Thailand, really hits the mark.

Your point Jim of "going with the flow" can't be understated. This is an easy concept for anyone to comprehend but very challenging to apply at times.

The fact that Thais routinely bury themselves in useless paperwork, create over-the-top wait times, drive like crazed lunatics, lie and deceive constantly and, for the most part, are totally irresponsible, has little to do with the fact that Thailand has never been colonized in my opinion. This has been emphasized time-and-time-again over the years as being a contributing factor to all the things included in the author's Top 10 Hard Truth List, but in all honesty, a culture which continually displays this level of pure stupidity isn't doing it because they were never colonized. They're doing it because they're stupid.

I live here now. Enjoy what I enjoy, Accept their failings. Work around the issues. Have no intention of adapting to anything, and do what I do best - and keep Dodging them.