Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Post by Gaybutton »

Again, I think worrying about the TM30 is making a mountain out of a molehill. If you're staying in a hotel, the hotel takes care of that for you, and a hotel is where most of you reading this board probably stay when in Thailand.

As far as I can tell, the only farang who really need to concern themselves about the TM30 are those who are landlords.

I see nothing new in the article and I don't see anything to worry about. If anyone really is all that concerned about it, then go to immigration or a local police station and do the TM30.
gera

Post by gera »

2lz2p wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:30 am
fountainhall wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:38 am Like Up2u I have owned and lived in my own apartment for 18 years. I have never once completed at TM30, even when I have had an overseas friend staying. And never once have I been asked about this.
Having visitors (foreigners) stay with you under the law requires you to file a TM.30 with Immigration within 24 hours of their arrival (of course, if a weekend, the next business day that Immigration is open). BUT, unless your visitor has a reason to visit Immigration during their stay, there is little or no chance of a problem or fine. However, if your visitor goes to Immigration to say extend their Visa Exempt entry (30 day permitted stay) for another 30 days, then there is a very good chance you will required to file the TM.30 and pay a fine before Immigration will extend their stay - the fine is usually 1,600 baht, but could as I understand it, be more.
That is correct. To that I have to add that if one owns condo but does not have retirement visa, one still needs to submit TM 30 form (for oneself). This is my case and it is the current situation in Pattaya. Right now it is material only if one needs to visit immigration to extend Visa exempt entry as 2lz2p
indicates.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:02 pm if one owns condo but does not have retirement visa, one still needs to submit TM 30 form (for oneself).
I don't understand what the big problem is. If someone falls into the category that truly requires the TM30 form to be submitted, what's so horrible about going to immigration, submitting it, and getting it over and done with?
gera

Post by gera »

Nothing horrible But after 24 hour trip visiting immigration not on the list of my favorite things
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

If you live in the Centre of Bangkok, try getting out to the Chaengwattana Immigration office without having to spend at least half a day. The ‘problem’ is that a taxi costs more than going to and from Don Mueang, public transport means several changes and several hours, and once there every day you have to fight your way through hundreds of others there for various visa issues. Unless there is a dedicated TM 30 queue with few waiting, it’s murder. My annual visa renewal is one day of the year I dread.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm If you live in the Centre of Bangkok, try getting out to the Chaengwattana Immigration office without having to spend at least half a day.
If I understand correctly, the TM30 can also be done at local police stations and you don't have to go to immigration. I realize that is probably a pain too, but if I have it right, at least it is much less of a pain.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:51 pm
fountainhall wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:21 pm If you live in the Centre of Bangkok, try getting out to the Chaengwattana Immigration office without having to spend at least half a day.
If I understand correctly, the TM30 can also be done at local police stations and you don't have to go to immigration. I realize that is probably a pain too, but if I have it right, at least it is much less of a pain.
If there is no Immigration Office where you are, then you may report to Police (of course they may not have a clue and not accept it). So, I doubt this would work for those that are reporting an address in the city where an Immigration Office is located.

At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration, they do have a dedicated desk for the TM.30 filing -- it is in a separate room immediately to your left from the entry where the information counter is located and where you get your queue number. Back when they first started enforcing the requirement, it was usually crowded with people -- but, for the past several months they do not require retirees to file the TM.30 if they are returning the the address that has been previously reported to them.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:25 pm I doubt this would work for those that are reporting an address in the city where an Immigration Office is located.
If it were me, I would at least try first because we really don't know whether that would work or not.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

The first place to check, if you live in a condo, is the condo office. Many are set up to submit TM30's online.
In Chiang Mai I am told the rule is that you only re-submit if you leave the country and return. Staying overnight, or longer, away from home, but still in Thailand, is disregarded.
(You also need to do a new one for a permanent change of address, but that is not a frequent concern.)
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

fountainhall wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:45 am Thanks for the information. I have never had anyone stay more than a few days and it is always at the start or end of their visit. If at the start, my address goes into the Immigration form on arrival. No idea if this is acceptable but I have never encountered any issues. Thankfully none has required to visit Immigration.
What you enter on the Immigration form on arrival is not acceptable. The TM30 is required to be filed within 24 hours of your entry into Thailand. It can be done online. But need to set up online access.

Bangkok Immigration ...as are many across Thailand... are now enforcing this. Its when you go to submit 90 day report or any action needing Thai Immigration assistance is when they crosscheck to see if the TM30 has been filed.

Tj