Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Anything and everything about Thailand
@DM

Re: Be sure your TM30 is filed with Thai Immigration

Post by @DM »

I just yesterday received a airport transfer confirmation from Thailand Elite and it now includes details about TM-30 compliance, so as far as the people at Thailand Elite are concerned, it does seem that they agree that people with PE visas are still subject to the same TM-30 reporting requirements as others.
gera

Post by gera »

Do they suggest any concrete way to handle it? E.g. ,concierge service?
@DM

Post by @DM »

no. all they do is recap what the law says. They are not - as far as I know - offering to take care of TM-30 reporting as they do for 90-Day reports.
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

gera wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:27 am Tj, I appreciate your response. However, I vividly remember that the benchmark article in BKK post indicated that people on long term visa ( with vigorous back ground check) do not need to do that. Retirement visa is not considered long term visa.
Read and believe what you will...
But you do need to file a TM30.

IF in doubt, ask your local Thai Immigration office...
sooner than later.

Good Luck.

Tj
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Everybody seems to be trying to rely on what web sites - including this one, third parties, and people in general are saying. From one source we're being told filing the TM30 is not necessary and from another source we're told that it is.

To me, all of that is completely meaningless. There is only one place where anyone will get the answer that counts - the immigration office - the one you use.

Even then, I wouldn't count on the answer you get to be 100% reliable.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am To me, all of that is completely meaningless. There is only one place where anyone will get the answer that counts - the immigration office - the one you use.
Not really completely meaningless! One should submit a TM 30 and that is clear.
Whether you do it once, or every time you change location or leave Thailand and return is another matter. Some people never bother and others are obsessing about it.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

windwalker wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am One should submit a TM 30 and that is clear.
Obviously to some it's not clear at all, which is why I'm suggesting that those for whom it's not clear, just check with your immigration office and do what they tell you to do.

Seems simple enough to me. I would think doing that would be enough for people to stop tearing their hair out about what they need to do.
gera

Post by gera »

windwalker wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:55 am
Gaybutton wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am To me, all of that is completely meaningless. There is only one place where anyone will get the answer that counts - the immigration office - the one you use.
Not really completely meaningless! One should submit a TM 30 and that is clear.
Whether you do it once, or every time you change location or leave Thailand and return is another matter. Some people never bother and others are obsessing about it.
I did submit TM30 to immigration office. And I always do , when I know that I need to deal with immigration office in Jomtien during my stay (e.g.,
if I need to extend my stay for 30 days). If I know I am not dealing with them during my visit, I do not bother. The current practice is that Immigration in the airport does not check it upon exit from the country (as Fountainhall experience confirms clearly). Whether this will continue to be the case remains to be seen. One thing is clear for me: I am not aware of any other place with such draconian practices (and I stayed in Sweden, Hong Kong,Singapore, Japan prolong periods of time). Let me add that current situation would never happen under Thaksin or Yingluck governments
(for Thaksin haters: retirement visa and elite card were introduced under Thaksin).
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

In the old days of industrial strife in the UK, the unions used to have what was called a "work to rule" - that is to say, they would slow everything down to a crawl by following every petty rule to a pedantic degree.
Maybe we need enough farang to get together and do a "TM 30 to rule". Stay in each other's houses, move around a lot, re-register every time - give the immigration offices a queue down the street all day, every day, day after day. They might soon get fed up with it.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

A few points made the write up below (see link) which actually make sense to me is that If you're retired in Thailand and take a short trip outside of your home province don't be concerned with the TM30 nonsense. Yes, technically, it is a TM30 requirement, but they don't have the resources or capabilities to know about your trip, nor are they really concerned.

It's becoming a bit clearer (if that's even possible) that Immigration is focused on going after the penalty fees paid by hotels, resorts, hostels, etc., and not focusing on the retired expat community. Apparently, according to this write up, there is a team of people from Immigration who are already raking in the money from those who were responsible from the beginning for TM30 reporting, and that's the places that are servicing the tourists and short stay residents.

If you want to follow the letter of the law, go ahead and complete a TM30 every time you sneeze. As for me, my 90 day reporting and visa extension renewal are all the hoops I'm going to be jumping through. The only exceptions will be when (and if) I travel to another country, or in the event I sold my condo and had a change of address.

http://www.chiangmailocator.com/wiki-th ... o-you-p172