The Nation ceases publication after 48 years

Anything and everything about Thailand
travelerjim1

Post by travelerjim1 »

After 48 years on the newsstands, The Nation, Thailand’s leading English-language daily known for its independent and aggressive news reporting, publishes its last print edition today.

The newspaper, which will continue its news service on-line, is the latest victim of the disruptive technology that has rattled the media industry for years. Like most other newspapers, it has been struggling financially for several consecutive years with declining circulations and advertising revenue.

“Undoubtedly, the new chapter is challenging but it also contains rich promises since it comes hot on the heels of technological disruption which has swept virtually every sector of the economy and people’s way of life…,” the paper said in its front-page farewell message headlined “A new beginning at 48"

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/the-nation ... dr_65cDbM8

Tj
Gaybutton

Re: The Nation ceases publication after 48 years

Post by Gaybutton »

I have a feeling most people read their news online these days anyway, rather than reading a printed newspaper. We're not going to lose The Nation. It will continue online at:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I do like a physical paper from time to time if on my own in a coffee shop or as this evening when I’ll be sitting at an airport, especially to work away at the crosswords and sudoku puzzles! Without the competition, though, I wonder how long it will be before the Post ups it’s price!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am I wonder how long it will be before the Post ups it’s price!
Or also goes to online-only.

Why do I think eventually that's just what they'll do - and then start charging subscription prices?
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 pm
fountainhall wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 10:43 am I wonder how long it will be before the Post ups it’s price!

Why do I think eventually that's just what they'll do - and then start charging subscription prices?
What else can they do? Print newspapers have been in a death spiral for years. Their income is determined by circulation. Circulation drops because of on line competition. Because of the revenue shortfall, content is cut. Because the content is cut, circulation falls some more........
........and so on unto death.
In fact, they may even be better off going online only sooner rather than later - before the cost of maintaining a print edition depletes their ability to produce content to the point where the brand is lastingly damaged.
Maybe they won't start charging subscription though. There are many, many places on the web (look at You Tube) where free content is monetised very profitably.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Eventually they will.

The Printing and Publishing industries as we know them today will be dinosaurs a few generations from now. Having said that, I can't see Thailand transitioning to a paperless society for at least another 100 years. They love their paper.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Although I like to read these papers, there is clearly insufficient demand for 2 English language papers in Thailand in the era of the internet.

I also prefer to read them in a coffee shop, since I rarely make fewer than 2 coffee shop visits per day in Thailand.
This is good for the coffee shop, since I'm more likely to visit one known to have the newspapers. However, if one copy is read by several customers, that's less turnover for the newspaper.

I'm not that keen on some of these website subscription models. For example, I occasionally buy the FT (paper version). Whilst any newspaper can be purchased occasionally, newspaper websites tend not to allow occasional purchases.