Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Post by Undaunted »

After many residents complained police act:

https://thepattayanews.com/2019/07/06/p ... n-pattaya/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Post by Gaybutton »

You're probably going to be criticized for using the derogatory term "Camel Jockeys" and I'll probably be criticized for permitting it, but I can understand why you apply it to these people. The word 'inconsiderate' hardly begins to describe people who couldn't care less about anyone else. I've had my share of times when I had to dodge these morons careening their way up and down the sois surrounding Sunee Plaza and damned near was hit. If I had been hit, does anyone actually believe the driver would have stopped? Is this why they go to Pattaya?

I would have changed your topic title until I saw the part in the video where a group of them are standing there laughing and treating the whole thing like a big joke. I have no prejudice toward Middle Easterners, but I have plenty toward the ones who come here and behave like that. I only wish they could be hauled before Judge Judy.

I hope this time the police will keep the crackdown going, but I'm not holding my breath.

Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Too bad they don't deport em.

I find the phrase Undaunted used to describe these assholes as fitting and appropriate. Maybe it's there heritage of riding those pokey camels that turn them into crazed lunatics when they get in the seat of a motorbike...who knows!

I imagine the fines for the loud mufflers will be pinned on the rental shop owners, and rightfully so.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:33 am Too bad they don't deport em.
I'd like to see them penalized a lot more than deportation. The article says they were fined an "undisclosed amount," which to me means they probably weren't fined more than a few hundred baht, if that much. However much they were fined, does anyone really believe this crackdown will last more than a few days? They'll be right back out there doing the same thing - and I wouldn't be surprised if that happens as soon as tonight.

If they want to endanger their own lives, that's ok with me, but they are also endangering everyone else who merely want to walk safely. And they do it with virtual impunity. They get away with it with less than a slap on the wrist, so little wonder they react as if any police action is meaningless.

Go and try doing the same thing in their country and see what happens.

The police are out there stopping and fining Thai and farang motorbike drivers for not wearing helmets, so why don't they at least do the same with these pieces of garbage? I don't recall ever seeing them wearing helmets while they're zooming up and down the sois.

The fact that close to nothing is ever done to stop them has been on my "I Don't Get It" list for years.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I wonder if Thailand has any environmental protection laws prohibiting noise above a certain decibel level. Even if it does, I suppose enforcement depends on the contents of brown envelopes.

Apart from the danger to themselves and bystanders caused by these idiots, I would go mad if that level of noise penetrated my apartment. I so much appreciate the absolute quiet I enjoy day and night - even though I am only 200 meters from the expressway that gets me to both airports.

On the issue of noise, Hong Kong has had very strict noise enforcement laws for more than two decades. I recall when working as a consultant for the national tourist agency there was a proposal to hold a Formula 1 motor race through the main Causeway Bay to Central roads - like Singapore started quite a few years later. Although that would have brought in at least 100,000 tourists for the race week-end, it was killed because of the severe noise disturbance to those living nearby.

There was a second major project also killed. Earlier the Hong Kong Jocky Club had renovated an old sports stadium and brought it completely up to date along with corporate suites and so on. Part of the deal for corporations who took out multi-year rentals of these suites was that this would be used for pop concerts. As soon as the first concert featuring a local pop star had taken place, there were multiple complaints from those living in the apartment blocks at the top of the hill south of the stadium. In a manner more typical of Thai planners, the designers had put in place all the elements required for a fully functioning stage at the north end. So heavily amplified sound travelled south.

In the late 1990s Elton John was billed to play at the stadium. The residents in those apartment petitioned the government. That resulted in a very senior government official suggesting the concert should take place. Quite seriously he would ensure that every member of the audience was given headphones and cotton gloves - so that the sound emanating from the stadium would be almost non-existent. He was the butt of endless jokes in the media thereafter. Not only did Elton John's concert not take place, no other major pop concert has taken place in that stadium since then. The corporate suite holders cancelled their contracts and the stadium has racked up massive losses!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

There is only 1 way to stop this, but because money is involved it won't happen. First license any place that rents motorbikes, second any rental agreement must have attached an international motorbike license with a photo, the driver of the bike must be the same as the photo. If a foreign driver is stopped and the bike rental place cannot supply this, the bike is confiscated.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway »

This may be off topic but is there an official red line policy for racist name calling and insults?

Yesterday I just shook my head at this thread and closed closed it. Today when I woke up, I asked myself if I really was going to say nothing?

Are we truly that accepting of racism here?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bucknaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:13 pm Are we truly that accepting of racism here?
This has nothing to do with race, other than racing motorbikes with no regard for the safety of others. We're talking specifically about the people who come here and behave like that, not about an entire race or country of origin. I would permit the same kind of posting no matter where a group of people come from. I have no sympathy for them whatsoever.

Nobody but these people have been behaving like that, apparently perfectly content to endanger others for their own idea of fun - and it takes direct police action to put a stop to it, however temporarily. Perhaps you have something to say about that.
Bucknaway

Post by Bucknaway »

We agree to disagree. I've never seen a camel in Pattaya but I'm familiar with the racist term used in the title. So only some racism is allowed?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Bucknaway wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:56 pm So only some racism is allowed?
I didn't see you complaining about racism when we had topics about the behavior of Chinese tourists. Same thing. We're talking about behavior, not race.

Go to their country and try exhibiting the same behavior and see where that gets you.

If you see it as racism, that's your affair. I don't see it that way at all and these posts are perfectly acceptable.