Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Anything and everything about Thailand
mahjongguy

Re: Police Bust Sunee Camel Jockeys

Post by mahjongguy »

Arab taken in by police after early morning bike smash in Pattaya leaves two students in hospital

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/111088 ... -hospital/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Police demand tourists have license to rent motorcycles:

https://news.thaivisa.com/article/37447 ... -a-licence
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thaivisa wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:03 am early morning bike smash in Pattaya leaves two students in hospital
Anyone surprised?

The article doesn't say how much money this guy had to give to the police, but my guess is no matter how much money he had to give, he'll be on a plane out of Thailand, while the getting is good, before today is over.

I wonder how long we'll have to wait before we hear about the next injury or death caused by these fine people.

Thaivisa wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:53 am Police demand tourists have license to rent motorcycles:
Part of the article says:

"Offenders could face a month in jail and a fine up to 1,000 baht or both.
Shops renting bikes to tourists could face a fine of up to 2,000 baht for contravening the regulations."

That must be frightening them to death . . .

This probably won't stop until real penalties are imposed. The existing penalties for injuring others or even causing death, for these people that doesn't even amount to a slap on the wrist.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

In Saudi Arabia, anyone who causes an accident which results in a person being hospitalized receives a penalty of 1 year in prison, fined 100,000 SR (822,000 Thai Baht), or both. I wonder how much the fine is in Thailand?

The Thais, who are one of the most tolerate cultures on the fact of the Earth, simply can't stand them. This isn't by accident. The majority of Arabs I've witnessed on holiday in Thailand seem to take pride in being openly rude, loud, obnoxious, with those nauseous over-inflated macho images, not to mention the fact that they covert their motorbikes into deadly weapons with total disregard for who their next victim will be. Not a very good fit in Thai culture to say the least. I can't imagine the entire Arab culture being is like this, but I'll never get the chance to know, because gays are put to death in Saudi Arabia.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:17 am I can't imagine the entire Arab culture being is like this, but I'll never get the chance to know, because gays are put to death in Saudi Arabia.
You shouldn't have to worry about it in Iran. After all, there are no gays in Iran . . .

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Re Iran, thankfully Ahmadinejad was kicked out by the electorate and replaced by a more moderate President. Unfortunately, the actions of Trump and his neo-cons is merely strengthening the regime and the public will not stand for outside interference. They may dislike and even loathe their rulers, but they dislike outside interference even more.

The official line in a very conservative country is that homosexuality is illegal, but it is certainly not not there!! Having been in Iran less than two years ago, there was considerable activity on the apps (although not in Tehran) and my guide told me that no one really cared what two guys did behind closed doors.

Prostitution is also illegal but is said to be rampant in Teheran and only slightly less so in other parts of the country!. My guide himself was a serial womaniser visiting a different hooker in every town we visited!
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

I was in intensive care in Bangkok Phuket Hospital in December. Some of you may be happy to hear that in the next bed was a young Arab man who had been seriously injured in a motorbike accident. I don't know the details, but apparently no one else was hurt. By my last day he was able to hobble down the hall with two nurses supporting him, so I guess he was expected to recover. In the interest of fairness I should mention that his friends, also Arab of course, were unfailingly polite and cordial to me when they visited.

As for what to call them, perhaps we can borrow the term from a sign I saw "with my own eyes" in Soi Yensabai a few years ago: "Arab Aborigines Welcome." Was that racist?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Swing wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm Some of you may be happy to hear that in the next bed was a young Arab man who had been seriously injured in a motorbike accident.
That doesn't make me happy because I don't know the cause of the accident. If it was caused by him displaying the same kind of behavior going on around Sunee Plaza, then I'd say he got what he brought onto himself.

But since there are so many other possibilities about what might have caused the accident, without knowing what happened I don't see anything to be happy about.

Despite some people having convinced themselves that some of us are racists and would be delighted to see Middle Easterners get hurt, that is utter nonsense. The problem is the behavior of a few, not their ethnicity.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Captain Swing wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:06 pm I saw "with my own eyes" in Soi Yensabai a few years ago: "Arab Aborigines Welcome." Was that racist?
Aboriginal means people who have been living in an area going back a long long way in history, or something like that. So if they want to extend a welcome to people like that, fair enough. Most likely another fine piece of dictionary translation.

As for your other point, if people race motorcycles around narrow streets, causing a danger to others and being very noisy, I do get satisfaction if the careless motorcycle riders are the ones getting injured. Seems only fair that they should be the ones suffering, not like the innocent Russian lady.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I just returned from Sunee there were at least 30 jockeys racing around while the police had a checkpoint setup under the overpass at 3rd road and Thappraya with apparently little to do.....go figure :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"