Just What Pattaya Needs!

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Re: Just What Pattaya Needs!

Post by fountainhall »

Dodger wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:23 pmIndian culture has played an integral role in influencing many aspects of Thailand, including religion, ceremonies, language, literature, dance and food. Buddhism was born in ancient India in the 6th century BC and then spread across much of Asia including Thailand (Siam).
Dodger is so right. Asia was hugely influenced by Indian soft conquest and culture until it was ever so gradually replaced by Islam over a period of several centuries.

My first encounter with an Indian was on my first real holiday after my arrival in Asia. I took two weeks off to spend one in Penang and Langkawi and the other in Bangkok. Langkawi was then almost completely undeveloped and there were only two hotels on the whole island. On the way there, I chuckled throughout the 6-hour ferry and bus trip as I was reading Anthony Burgess' fascinating and amusing "Malayan Trilogy" set at the time of Britain's withdrawal from the country.

As I was considering that six-hour trip back to Penang, the hotel manager told me of a flight I could take. There was only one each day in a tiny box-shaped aircraft seating about 12 passengers. So I booked a ticket. Arriving at the airport (I) I was not surprised that the terminal was a tiny shack. The check-in boy can have been no more than 15. When he asked if I'd like a drink, I looked around. No fridge. No sight of drinks. I thought maybe he had a stash of Coca Cola under his small desk. I said yes I'd love a drink. Whereupon he went outside, clambered up a tree with the agility of a monkey, chopped off a coconut which was then offered to me. Welcome to Asia, I thought!

That thought was repeated the next evening in Penang. Having spent the afternoon wandering through Penang and taking in the wonderful sights and smells of the different Malay, Chinese and Indian sections, I happened to see The Hong Kong Bar. Perfect for a couple of beers. Around 7:00 pm I decided to go back to my hotel. Leaving the bar, a middle-aged Indian came up to me. The conversation went something like this.

"How are you, young man?"
"Very good thank you"
"Oh how very delightful! May I be permitted to ask where are you going?"
"Back to my hotel" I replied.
Leaning toward my ear, in hushed tones he then asked - "Wanna girl? Very good girl, sir. I guarantee!"
"No! No, thank you! I need to go for dinner."
"Ah, now I understand sir. I see you wanna boy I can get you very, very good boy! Guaranteed"
"No! No! Sorry but I have to go"
"Young man. Sir. What is the matter with you? Don't you know the time? It's 7 o'clock. It's penis time!"

Yes, indeed. Welcome to Asia!