New U.S. Ambassador to Thailand is President of Republicans Overseas

Anything and everything about Thailand
Maple

New U.S. Ambassador to Thailand is President of Republicans Overseas

Post by Maple »

Trump has nominated the Worldwide President of Republicans Overseas, Michael DeSombre of Hong Kong, to be the next US Ambassador to Thailand. Here is the White House announcement:

The White House
Office of the Press Secretary
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 15, 2019
President Donald J. Trump Announces Intent to Nominate Individuals to Key Administration Posts

Today, President Donald J. Trump announced his intent to nominate the following individuals to key positions in his Administration:

Michael George DeSombre, of Illinois, to be Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America to the Kingdom of Thailand.

Michael George DeSombre serves on the board of the Hong Kong Forum, an organization that promotes exchanges between scholars and policymakers worldwide, and is active in the region’s intellectual and philanthropic communities. As a globally recognized authority on mergers, acquisitions, and high profile negotiations, Mr. DeSombre is a partner at Sullivan & Cromwell, LLP law firm and leads the mergers and acquisition practice in Asia. Mr. DeSombre has served as Chairman of the Board of Save the Children Hong Kong since 2015 and has resided in Asia for the past two decades. In 1990, Mr. DeSombre received a B.A. in Quantitative Economics, and an M.A. in East Asian Studies from Stanford University. He graduated from Harvard Law School, magna cum laude, in 1995. Mr. DeSombre is fluent in Mandarin Chinese and is conversational in Korean and Japanese.

https://publicpool.kinja.com/subject-pr ... 1836392687
https://twitter.com/MichaelDeSombre

Gaybutton

Re: New U.S. Ambassador to Thailand is President of Republicans Overseas

Post by Gaybutton »

What happened to Glyn Davies?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

On what level does this make a difference?
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

With a title like "Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the United States of America" they certainly want him to sound important. Hell, I'm impressed, but I had to look up "Plenipotentiary" in the dictionary. Being the Worldwide President for Republicans Overseas is also an impressive title, but still lacks the pizzazz that Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary have.

I'm sure his background in high level mergers & acquisitions, and the fact the he speaks mandarin Chinese, will really help the U.S. expat community over here, although I would have felt much more at ease if Donald would have sent Ivanka along to give the new Ambassador some strategic advice during his initial meetings with Thailand's Heads of State.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

werner99

Post by werner99 »

This might be of interest to American members of the forum.
But how does this relate to "Gay Thailand"??
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

werner99 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:01 pm This might be of interest to American members of the forum.
But how does this relate to "Gay Thailand"??
It doesn’t and you will find a large percent of the posts on this forum as of the last few years has little or nothing to do with gay or Thailand.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
werner99

Post by werner99 »

The posts that have nothing to do with "Gay Thailand" should be put in the "Everything Else" section.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

werner99 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:15 pm The posts that have nothing to do with "Gay Thailand" should be put in the "Everything Else" section.
I'm sorry, but you are mistaken. You will note on the index page the blurb about the "Thailand" forum says "Anything and everything about Thailand." It does not say posts are restricted to gay Thailand posts. As a matter of fact, most of the posts on the "Thailand" forum have nothing to do with "gay" at all.

Where did you get the idea that the "Thailand" forum is supposed to be restricted to gay-only topics?

I think a topic about a new ambassador to Thailand belongs on the "Thailand" forum, no matter which country the ambassador represents.

The topic will remain where it is.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

I apologize for my mistake and my misunderstanding.