Tobacco Smoking in Gay Go-go Bars and Clubs

Anything and everything about Thailand
windwalker

Re: Tobacco Smoking in Gay Go-go Bars and Clubs

Post by windwalker »

Trongpai wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm How about Pattaya and Chiang Mai. Can anyone provide a full list of the smoking and nonsmoking gay venues?
No smoking in bars in Boyztown. No smoking in Winner Bar in Sunee. Not sure about Eros Bar.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

windwalker wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:15 am
Trongpai wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm How about Pattaya and Chiang Mai. Can anyone provide a full list of the smoking and nonsmoking gay venues?
No smoking in bars in Boyztown. No smoking in Winner Bar in Sunee. Not sure about Eros Bar.
All kinds of “smoking” going on in Eros :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:00 am All kinds of “smoking” going on in Eros :!:
Can you imagine asking the "smokers" in Eros to do it at the tables outside... :lol:
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Dodger wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:16 am Can you imagine asking the "smokers" in Eros to do it at the tables outside... :lol:
Offer enough money and maybe you'll get a taker . . .
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

In truth, I have had a smoke with a lad in an outdoor bar in Sunee on more than one occasion.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Trongpai wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:54 pm Gogo's Bangkok: No smoking Moonlight, Jupiter, Dream Boys Bangkok, Dream Boys Paradisco, Tawan, and recently Hotmale.
Update, 11Aug 2019, Remove Hotmale from the non-smoking list. They discourage customers smoking with no ash trays on the tables and no smoking signs but don't prohibit smoking and when one lights up waiters produce an ash tray. It just takes one customer to pull out a coffin nail and light it up for others to follow in a cascade of carcinogenic haze.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

In the good old days when the gogo bars flourished I don’t remember any discussion about smoking :!:
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

If you're inferring that the smoking ban inside bars and restaurants was a factor in the demise of go-go's then I think you're making a spurious correlation. There's lots of independent variables that has lead to the decline of go-go's in Thailand but I don't think smoking or not smoking is one of them.

Non smokers are now the majority: "According to the CDC, as of 2015, a total of 15.1% of U.S. adults (16.7% of men and 13.6% of women) smoke"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prevalence_of_tobacco_use

I would have thought the smoking prevalence for China would have been higher and why is Greece so high?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I agree with Trongpai that a smoking ban, when enforced, has certainly not had much effect on the decline in attendance in the bars. But I also agree with Undaunted that the smoking argument was never even considered back in the 1980s and 1990s and even the early 2000s, I had only two puffs of one cigarette at age 14 and that was my last one. But I was brought up in a family where my father smoked 60 a day. So I should have been used to smoke at home.

I guess I never really thought about cigarette smoke until the anti-smoking lobbies really started getting across their message. In Hong Kong that was in the late-1980s, a time when many Hong Kong Chinese smoked regularly, even in places like restaurants and taxis. I believe that once individuals get used to a smoke-free environment, the irritation caused by cigarette smoke increases greatly. In the last couple of decades, I have never allowed any friends, even a boyfriend, to smoke in the apartment.

In more recent years, I found that the real smokers in the bars were the bar boys. As soon as they came offstage, they'd light up. This seemed almost universal. I can't speak for the last 3 years or so as I have not been in more than a handful of indoor bars since then. But with western customers on a steep decline and more Asians, I suspect the number of smokers in bars has risen.
werner99

Post by werner99 »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:00 pm Remove Hotmale from the non-smoking list. They discourage customers smoking with no ash trays on the tables and no smoking signs but don't prohibit smoking and when one lights up waiters produce an ash tray. It just takes one customer to pull out a coffin nail and light it up for others to follow in a cascade of carcinogenic haze.
Yuck! I wish that the bars and venues would enforce Thailand's reasonable policies that control tobacco smoking!
The hotels and restaurants that I have visited during recent trips to Thailand DO seem to prohibit tobacco smoking and DO enforce the policies.

But I suppose such would be naive, wishful thinking!