Hotels BKK and Chiang Mai

Anything and everything about Thailand
road to nowhere

Hotels BKK and Chiang Mai

Post by road to nowhere »

Hi, I am planning a trip in October. I have been to Thailand before but over 10 years ago. So I kinda feel like I'm starting from scratch.
I plan on just a few days in Bangkok, then heading to Chiang Mai for a longer stay, I will likely go other places but no itinerary yet, I have about 3 weeks to enjoy/chill/adventure.

I'm seeking hotel recommendations in BKK and Chiang Mai, gay friendly, ability to bring guests and safes-all nice amenities. Also, backpacker kinda budgeted.
Also since I haven't been to Thailand in a long time I am looking any good "first time traveler guide" links and or general info/recommendations.
Any foodies here? I would like to hear about your experiences with finding where the best food is.

Thanks, I have been reading the forum, lots of great reading, thank you all!
Jun

Re: Hotels BKK and Chiang Mai

Post by Jun »

road to nowhere wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am I'm seeking hotel recommendations in BKK and Chiang Mai, gay friendly, ability to bring guests and safes-all nice amenities. Also, backpacker kinda budgeted.
I believe backpackers typically stay in hostels with dormitories, or rooms without their own bathrooms. Neither of which are ideal if you're planning to entertain visitors in the room. What budget to you have in mind for hotels ?
atri1666

Post by atri1666 »

For Chiang Mai i can recommend Mercure Hotel. Prices from 180Euro till 300 Euro for one week. Friendly staff and no problems with visitors. In walking distance to Adams Apple and some massage places and other gay bars. They also offer airport transfer. I liked their big beds.
road to nowhere

Post by road to nowhere »

Jun wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:54 pm
road to nowhere wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:28 am I'm seeking hotel recommendations in BKK and Chiang Mai, gay friendly, ability to bring guests and safes-all nice amenities. Also, backpacker kinda budgeted.
I believe backpackers typically stay in hostels with dormitories, or rooms without their own bathrooms. Neither of which are ideal if you're planning to entertain visitors in the room. What budget to you have in mind for hotels ?
Ok, ok. I guess I should have realized that might be real cheap, I haven't set a budget, but in the 200 a week range?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

I suggest doing a Google search for: gay and gay friendly hotels Thailand

Many listings will come up.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I recommend The Malaysia Hotel, it is Gay friendly, is about 950 baht per night, has a 24 hour restaurant, free Wi-Fi., pool and is about a 45 baht taxi ride to Silom Soi 4 and has recently been renovated.

Malaysia Hotel

54 Ngam Duphli Alley, Khwaeng Thung Maha Mek, Khet Sathon, Krung Thep Maha Nakhon 10120
02 679 7127
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

road to nowhere wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:25 pm in the 200 a week range?
Assuming you mean USD200 per week, rather than 200 baht, I suppose that's 900 baht per day.
This doesn't get you much in Bangkok, so the advice from Undaunted is probably fine if you can accept the location.

The Nantra Silom is another budget place & more convenient for some purposes. However, the cleaning & maintenance has become completely unacceptable & I cannot recommend it.
You might get the Baan Silom Soi3 for about 1200 baht per night if booking well in advance & that is a step up.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

For Chiang Mai you might want to consider P J's Place. It's a gay guest-house with a small number of rooms. I stayed there a few years ago. The rooms are very nice and the breakfast excellent. I note it still gets very good reviews. Seems to come in around US$50 a night - more than your budget but since it is low season you might try to get a discount. It is not far from the gay areas.

https://www.pjs-place.com

Agree with Undaunted's recommendation of the Malaysia Hotel for Bangkok.

https://www.malaysiahotelbkk.com
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 6:56 pm I recommend The Malaysia Hotel
So do I. Whenever I go to Bangkok I always stay at the Malaysia Hotel. There are no room safes, but they do have lobby safes behind the front desk.

If you want to bring a boy to your room, the only requirement is the boy has to have his ID card and has to leave it with the front desk. He gets it back when he leaves and the front desk gets an "all clear" from you. There are no fees for a "guest." Other than the ID card, no questions asked.

There are some good restaurants within easy walking distance. My favorites are the Lido Italian restaurant, The Corner, and the Ratsstube German restaurant.

https://www.lidobangkok.com/

https://www.facebook.com/thecornerbkk/

https://www.ratsstubebangkok.com/
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_ ... ngkok.html This is another reasonably priced western restaurant near the Malaysia Hotel.
The hotel is centrally located and a subway stop is within walking distance.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"