Hotels BKK and Chiang Mai

Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Re: Hotels BKK and Chiang Mai

Post by Undaunted »

I haven’t been to Chiang Mai in years as it’s gay scene has gotten fairly pathetic however, I always stayed in the center of town at a nice reasonably priced place: A quick look at the travel sites such as Agoda has he rate at approx.1000 per night.

http://www.thesmallhotelgroup.com/smallhotel_chiangmai/
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
road to nowhere

Post by road to nowhere »

Thanks for the responses. I'll check out the places mentioned for sure. I am not that interested in the "gay scene" as much as trying to participate in taking in the food and culture there of. I own a small little restaurant (in the US) and as much as this is a break from working non-stop I still want to use this as a learning experience..... and if I hook up, that's cool too ;)

I am thinking I want to go to Chiang Mai because as I remember the food market was absolutely amazing and the pace was pretty chill (went to Adam's Apple so I know there are some sorta chance for action), but I'm sure there are other places where it could be similar or better, I just don't know where that is, yet....
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

We just returned from a short tip to Chiang Mai and had a nice time. I've been going to Chiang Mai since the mid 80's, go about once a year, and yes it's changed but where hasn't? The gay scene is not dead, it's just not the same of times gone by.

We flew out of Don Maung on Nok Air as it's quicker and easier then driving from Bangkok. Rented a car with Budget. Stayed at http://www.rarinjinda.com/

Ate at http://www.goodview.co.th/ one of my favorites and twice at the excellent https://thedukes.co.th/ Oh, how I miss Duke's of Bangkok, closed around 5 years ago.

Nice bar and nightly entertainment at http://www.theriversidechiangmai.com/

We went to http://www.hisclubchiangmai.com/ on a Tuesday at 1600. This was a find. My BF knows the owner but we did not get any special treatment or discounts. There were 15 boys to choose from. They are behind a one way glass area. The quality was pretty good. The owner knew which boy did what. The prices are all inclusive but you can tip more if you're so inclined. The room was old but clean and functional. Good en suit shower and good large massage bed. These places are often just the luck of the draw and I almost choose randomly. It worked out well for me. He did everything I was told he would. He had a nice friendly playful manner and I thoroughly enjoyed the massage and the sex that followed. My BF said he had a very good time. He would not share details but I'm sure there was a happy ending.

I wanted to get to Adam's Apple but did not have the time. The Circle Pub, show at 10:30 and 12:30. Only 7 average looking masculine boys and two exceptionally toned man models. Drinks 350B The show consisted of one guy strip acts with a white sheet and peek-a-boo rather large erect penis exposures between lady boy lip sync acts. Pretty bad. 12 Customers all Asians, except me. Everyone left after the first show.

I notice a new(?) city bus. It's air conditioned and apparently runs on routes. So, if you don't have your own transportation you can get around now. Sorry, I have no personal experience.

Since I was with my BF I did not make any contacts on the Apps but did look from time to time and there's a lot on offer.

Chinese tourists everywhere in numbers too great to ignore.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 pm I haven’t been to Chiang Mai in years as it’s gay scene has gotten fairly pathetic
So that he can make a balanced decision, road to nowhere should be made aware that you also say the same thing about Boyztown, Jomtien, some of the bars in Sunee Plaza and Bangkok.

Other than Nice Boys, where in the world do you recommend going ?
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Jun wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:13 am
Undaunted wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 pm I haven’t been to Chiang Mai in years as it’s gay scene has gotten fairly pathetic
So that he can make a balanced decision, road to nowhere should be made aware that you also say the same thing about Boyztown, Jomtien, some of the bars in Sunee Plaza and Bangkok.

Other than Nice Boys, where in the world do you recommend going ?
Jun you don’t live in Thailand and I don’t think you visit much but for some reason you are fairly obsessed with what goes on here.
My first visit to Chiang Mai was 18 years ago and it had a very active scene, there were many bars in back of the Night Bazaar and a few gogo bars near the Lotus Hotel. Adam’s Apple was under the original ownership and it was awesome. I would go a few times a year till I found little reason to return. As you take great interest in my comings and going’s I will make sure to keep you posted :!:
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:20 am
I would go a few times a year till I found little reason to return.
Obviously your hotels were not up to par :lol:

My first visit to Chiang Mai was in 1987 and I adored it. I have since been back very regularly. The bar scene has changed but since the boys are almost all straight, I would have thought undaunted would be in seventh heaven. As for me, there are still some good gay massages to be had and I continue to enjoy seeing many of the sights and exploring Lanna culture. After all, road to nowhere made it clear the bar scene is not his priority -
road to nowhere wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:53 pm I am not that interested in the "gay scene" as much as trying to participate in taking in the food and culture there of
Like Trongpai I highly recommend The River Terrace restaurant and have been visiting His Club over the last 12 years. His Club was recommended to me by the nice gay receptionist at the D2 hotel and I have never not been satisfied.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Hotels not up to par :?: The straight boys mostly hill tribe were a draw but their numbers and venues have vastly declined. As for the culture if I never saw another temple Lanna or otherwise life would continue. Speaking of Lanna I wonder if anyone remembers the ill fated Lanna Lavender Hotel?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

As for culture, discovering local cultures is at the top of some people's travel itineraries. To each his own.

I do indeed remember the Lanna Lavender Hotel and even visited once, although not to stay. Many will remember that this was a large budget hotel within the city which was taken over and converted into a gay resort. Rooms were renovated (at least that was the claim), there was a pool and sauna with boys on hand, a basement theatre for around 120 visitors for a gay show, and a restaurant on the roof of the second or third floor.

The hotel came in for a lot of criticism. Most of the rooms were not renovated. The staff were pretty clueless. A friend and I dined on the roof terrace. Lovely location and decent food, but the service was dreadful. Our bill was wrong. It came back - again it was wrong. Same thing happened a third time. I had to go to the cashier to point out what we had in fact ordered and how much we should be paying.

After dinner we went down to see the second of the two evening shows at the Powerboys showroom. There can have been no more than 20 other customers. On the other hand, we thought the show was excellent, far better than most shows around Thailand even though there was no actual nudity. Quite of few of the boys were students from the nearby university. The eye candy was great.

The whole plan for the hotel seemed doomed to failure. The hotel was way too large to cater for what was a small and declining market. It was only opened for a few months before it closed after the American owner committed suicide or was murdered. A larger than life character apparently he seemed to have acquired quite a number of enemies over a number of years.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Among his enemies were the wrong kind of people to owe large sums of money to.
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

I'd like to read a current review on the Adam's Apple. Anyone?