Anything and everything about Thailand
Undaunted

Petition for Immigration Reform

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
werner99

Re: Petition for Immigration Reform

Post by werner99 »

Perhaps I am a real cynic, but do petitions have any impact??
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

werner99 wrote: Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:03 pm Perhaps I am a real cynic, but do petitions have any impact??
My initial response here in Thailand would be NO. However, this is the first time I’ve seen an organized movement amongst foreigners as well as Thais.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

I'm not convinced petitions are particularly effective in democracies. In a disguised dictatorship, I would imagine the odds of success are lower.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I look at it this way: it's unlikely to do any harm. I just can't see the government effectively 'giving in' to a large bunch of expats. Some of the decision makers will no doubt feel that if they give in on this, when will the next petition appear?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:24 am it's unlikely to do any harm.
Unless it backfires somehow. I don't see much chance that immigration would be interested in this kind of petition, let alone sitting down with some sort of delegation of a group of farang. Immigration is already well aware of the problems and complaints.

And this delegation would consist of whom? How would the participants be chosen?

The only way I can see this petition having any chance at all would be with the full and active backing and participation of the embassies. I seriously doubt the embassies would want to be involved.

Personally, I think this petition is aimed at the wrong target. If any agency should be petitioned, why not the embassies? I'd like to see a petition going to the embassies asking them to reevaluate their position, permit us to prove our incomes, and on that basis go back to issuing the proof-of-income affidavits. If they would just do that, problem solved . . .
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 4:26 pm Personally, I think this petition is aimed at the wrong target. If any agency should be petitioned, why not the embassies?
You took the words right out of my mouth.