How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Anything and everything about Thailand
Pattayamale

Re: How long will Sunee plaza survive?

Post by Pattayamale »

gerefan wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:36 am
Pattayamale wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:07 pm
Just talked to a few guys from Toy Boys. They used to make 40-60K a month and yet have not had a single customer in over 2 months.
60,000 Baht would be 40 offs per month, assuming 1500 per off.
Maybe, just maybe, possible for a stunner model type...but i doubt it.
Some get multiple offs per night. Also they get a bit for the drink, a tip for sitting from the customer, a bit from the off fee and if they show up nightly, the bar gives them a very small wage. The Chinese and Japanese are much better tippers I have been told. 4000 baht not uncommon
But I admit, I am not their accountant and do realize that some people do exaggerate.
There was one guy a few years ago that told boys he was able to take them to the USA since he was very important.... Never did.
Pattayamale
Living happily
Trongpai

Post by Trongpai »

Sunee Plaza has a Wikipedia page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunee_Plaza

They list 5 reasons for its decline. Look at that old map, ahh the memories.....
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Given all these laments about the cooling down of Sunee and the prices in Boyztown, I wonder if anyone has had any recent experience at Sansuk Sauna. I assume it is still open, but wonder what kind of reviews it might be getting now.
Jun

Post by Jun »

RichLB wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:12 pm Given all these laments about the cooling down of Sunee and the prices in Boyztown, I wonder if anyone has had any recent experience at Sansuk Sauna. I assume it is still open, but wonder what kind of reviews it might be getting now.
I was in Sansuk a few months ago. Since they prohibit prostitution and have no discount for under 25s, there are generally almost no young Thais in there. The exceptions tend to already be with someone.

This is no alternative to Sunee or Boyztown.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Trongpai wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm They list 5 reasons for it's decline.
In my opinion, whoever wrote the article for Wikipedia left out five reasons for the decline.

1. The major drop in gay farang tourists coming to Pattaya anymore.
2. The ever strengthening baht.
3. The emergence and growth of the gay hookup apps.
4. The failure of the bars to work with each other to come up with innovative, effective ways to attract customers.
5. The motorbike maniacs.

I believe even if major numbers of customers start going to the Sunee Plaza bars again, by now it would be too little, too late. Maybe some of the Sunee Plaza go-go bars will survive. I hope so, but unless something drastically changes I am not exactly optimistic about what will have become of the Pattaya gay bar scene ten years from now.

I hate to admit it, but years ago the first one I can recall posting predictions about what would eventually happen to Sunee Plaza was none other than Undaunted. I argued with him about it in posts and vehemently insisted nothing like what we see today would happen. Unfortunately he turned out to be right and I turned out to be wrong.
a447

Post by a447 »

Re: point number 4 -

I've never considered the Thais to be particularly entrepreneurial - they appear to only think about today and have no vision of the future.

So it doesn't surprise me that the bar owners can not work together to develop a thriving nightlife in Sunee Plaza.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Gaybutton wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:33 pm
Trongpai wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:19 pm They list 5 reasons for it's decline.
In my opinion, whoever wrote the article for Wikipedia left out five reasons for the decline.

1. The major drop in gay farang tourists coming to Pattaya anymore.
2. The ever strengthening baht.
3. The emergence and growth of the gay hookup apps.
4. The failure of the bars to work with each other to come up with innovative, effective ways to attract customers.
5. The motorbike maniacs.
The decline began years ago before the baht strengthened, before gay tourist numbers declined and before the influx of the camel jockeys. 2 things were apparent gay farangs came for the sleaze, as the bars and gogo bars cleaned up their act their allure became less and as the apps grew in popularity, many saw no reason to do shopping elsewhere.
GB you’ve often said that the beginning of the end was when The Corner Bar closed then operated by the 2 Texans. I believe the end began about the time that Gary opened the Corner Bar.
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

In June of 2011 a new Police Commissioner was appointed in Bangkok. As widely publicized, his marching orders were to attack the drug problem which was sweeping the Kingdom and take no prisoners. Also, as publicized, his marching orders came from the very top.

Pattaya was slated as being one of the top hotbeds in for the sale and distribution drugs, specifically, yaba and ice. Sunee Plaza became an immediate target. Raids were conducted resulting in the arrest and incarceration of hundreds of working boys and mamasan's, as well as members of the local BIB and mafia who were part of the drug trade network. Prior to 2011 the drug dealers and drug users were protected by a shield formed by the BIB and mafia, although after June, 2011, that all changed and the shield was removed.

The average prison sentence imposed by the courts was 3-5 years for possession of 5 or more tabs of yaba or ice, and 1-3 years for testing positive. Those convicted were either sent to Chonburi or Nong Palai prisons which were already over capacity before the drug sweep took place. Stories of the Hell of prison life started flowing from the inmates to their friends and family members like rapid fire which significantly dampened the motivation for boys to come to Pattaya (and other drug hotbeds in Thailand) in search of work.

The number of boys working in the bars, and working freelance in Pattaya, was reduced significantly. The Bangkok Task Force was also fining bars for any other legal infractions during the raids, i.e. not having current operating licenses, serving underage customers, employing underage sex workers, etc. which only contributed to this downward spiral.

In all honesty, most of the farang punters I've talked to over the years had no idea that drug usage was as wide spread on the working boy scene as it was. They also seem to be totally in the fog regarding where all the boys went in the years following the drug sweep of 2011.

All the things listed by Wikipedia are good dart tosses - but completely miss the target as far as I'm concerned regarding the real reason the "boy scene" was melting. The Apps provide a safe haven. No arrests. No prison sentences. Mama's happy.
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

Years ago a French guy owned Eros (Villa Rouge) he went by the name Lulu. He said he had a problem with the boys doing yaba. I noticed a pharmacy in Sunee selling yaba test kits so I asked Lulu why he wouldn’t test his boys. He replied, "Because if I did, I'd have no boys left."
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Undaunted wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:57 am He replied, "Because if I did, I'd have no boys left."
And yet in comparison both Boystown and Jomtien Complex were hardly ever raided. Weren't there a significant number of boys there using yaba too? I've never really understood why Sunee Plaza was so singled out.