Dual pricing to begin for farang at Thai government hospitals

Anything and everything about Thailand
Up2u

Re: Dual pricing to begin for farang at Thai government hospitals

Post by Up2u »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:24 pm In case of a life threatening occurrence such as a stroke or heart attack when time is of the essence you go to the closest decent hospital in Dodger’s case that is QS however, I would worry if they had the latest drugs and equipment for example there is a very expensive drug that If administered within 45 minutes of certain strokes it will reverse the effects of the stroke, this drug is in the range of 30,000 baht, I know BPH has this drug I would not want to gamble if QS stocks this drug.
The stroke my friend had (mentioned earlier), was given this drug (actually two doses because of his weight) which probably have saved his life or a life of paralysis and a wheelchair with constant care. There are different kinds of strokes which require the latest equipment to diagnose. My mother's strokes were bleeding on the brain and giving her these anti-clotting drugs would have killed. Going to a hospital that can do MRI's and CT scans with proper diagnosis is critical.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm Going to a hospital that can do MRI's and CT scans with proper diagnosis is critical.
Yes, and being able to do it immediately when a stroke is suspected.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 8:13 pm
Up2u wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:48 pm Going to a hospital that can do MRI's and CT scans with proper diagnosis is critical.
Yes, and being able to do it immediately when a stroke is suspected.
Every BHP user should have the number 1719 in their phone or share with their friends so they can help you. If you have a stroke you may not be able to use a phone. My previously mentioned friend had his stroke on the beach and it was another friend that dialed 1719. You get English speakers and the ambulance EMT members spoke English. I live in Jomtien and the new BHP location will be most convenient.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am Every BHP user............
Did you miss this post? https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... =20#p96388

I still don't know what BHP stands for.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:06 am
Up2u wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 6:57 am Every BHP user............
Did you miss this post? https://www.gaybuttonthai.com/viewtopic ... =20#p96388

I still don't know what BHP stands for.
Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. The acronym is BHP. They belong to the BDMS group (Bangkok Dusit Medical Services). They even have two locations in Cambodia.

http://www.bdms.co.th/our-network
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

BHP (that's Bangkok Hospital Pattaya) does have the clot busting drug -- expensive but available. GB, the BNH acronym used previously is for Bangkok Nursing Hospital.

When I had my stroke a few years ago, the bf called 1719 and ambulance arrived within about 20 - 25 minutes (the stroke was around 7pm - called bf who was home within about 5 minutes), 5 minutes for getting on gurney etc, and I was in the Emergency Room about 20 - 25 minutes after that - so about one hour after the stroke. A CT scan confirmed it was an ischemic stroke (blood clot on right side of brain -- I had lost use of left arm and left side of mouth was drooping causing slurred speech). I was already familiar with the medicine and aware of Up2U's friends experience, so said yes I wanted it when asked by the doctor. In my case, the dosage was two injections at US$1,500 per dose - deposit made with my credit card before they administered the injections (of course). They "blocked" the amount on my credit line and later tore up the "charge slips" and removed the blocking when they received my US Health Insurance "Guarantee" to cover the cost.

This clot busting medicine has been approved by the US FDA for administering within the first 3 hours after a stroke - the sooner the better to reduce the risk of permanent paralysis. I recovered the use of my left arm, but ever since my left little and ring finger have some numbness as with the left side of my mouth - I still have some feeling in fingers and mouth no longer droops. If I recall correctly, the FDA approved it for another hour, but only if certain conditions exist.

As to Queen Sirikit hospital, my bf has used them on a few occasions. They do take credit cards as I used mine once to pay for medicine (picked up from pharmacy and carried by me to emergency room where it was administered). That was an emergency visit - internal bleeding. My bf is in the 30 baht scheme in Chaiyaphum Province. He was in the hospital 6 days (in a ward, no AC, but there was a fan for each bed - he said he preferred that to a private room, which he had when at BHP and PMH (Pattaya Memorial Hospital) previously because there were people around to talk to (nurses, other patients). He underwent some surgery (tube into esophagus). The total cost was "zero" as he was admitted as a result of emergency and had his card for the 30 baht scheme.

His other visits were outpatient, I don''t know if he was charged based on 30 baht scheme or was just getting the Thai price, but the cost was not much. As mentioned, the drawback is there can be a bit of a wait, e.g., his appointments were around 8am, it was around 10am when he saw the doctor. When he went in for the emergency, he was put on a gurney at the emergency room entrance and the nurse in the lobby asked a few questions and put a "red" tag on the gurney, which resulted in his being immediately wheeled into the emergency room for treatment. The doctor spoke to him in Thai, but then turned to me and speaking in good English told me his problem and what was needed.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:37 pm
Up2u wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:37 am I will bookmark this for future reference if I need a heart transplant or open heart surgery.
If I had to have a hip or knee replacement and it was not covered by insurance, I would not think twice about flying to have it done at a good hospital in India.
I would. I would ask myself the question, why am I taking a long flight from a country known for its medical tourism to another country also known for medical tourism just to save some money? My sister had hip replacement surgery and recovery, convalescence and follow-ups took weeks then months. So I sit alone in a hospital recovering while all my friends and family are here in Thailand or back in the USA. The more I type the less appealing it sounds. Cost analysis must include possibly of complications, food and shelter for longer than the hospital stay.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Undaunted wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:24 pm In case of a life threatening occurrence such as a stroke or heart attack when time is of the essence you go to the closest decent hospital in Dodger’s case that is QS however, I would worry if they had the latest drugs and equipment for example there is a very expensive drug that If administered within 45 minutes of certain strokes it will reverse the effects of the stroke, this drug is in the range of 30,000 baht, I know BPH has this drug I would not want to gamble if QS stocks this drug.
I know. This is a valid concern.

I wish there was a more modern private hospital closer to Bang Saray in the event of a catastrophic medical concern, but right now, Queen Sirikit is it.

Frankly, I hope I never see the inside of a hospital again (any hospital).
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:47 am I would ask myself the question, why am I taking a long flight from a country known for its medical tourism to another country also known for medical tourism just to save some money?
For me, if it was just a question of saving 'some' money, I wouldn't go either. But if it's a very substantial amount, then I'd have to make a decision.

Of course, if you have good medical insurance, it becomes rather a moot point.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:32 am
Up2u wrote: Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:47 am I would ask myself the question, why am I taking a long flight from a country known for its medical tourism to another country also known for medical tourism just to save some money?
For me, if it was just a question of saving 'some' money, I wouldn't go either. But if it's a very substantial amount, then I'd have to make a decision.

Of course, if you have good medical insurance, it becomes rather a moot point.
True, but there are hidden costs and intangibles to weigh. You don't just hop on a plane and come back to Thailand. Follow up exams, clearance to travel, additional costs for longstay or convalescence, no friends, no visitors for moral support.