Is Gay Romeo Going Downhill?

Anything and everything about Thailand
fountainhall

Is Gay Romeo Going Downhill?

Post by fountainhall »

I used to check Gay Romeo fairly regularly, often around this time in the morning (10:00 am). Today, after a gap of well over a year, I checked the old site (I hate the new one). Rarely have I seen the number of pages for Bangkok anything more than full with a good percentage of younger Thai guys. This morning there are just 7 1/2 pages and the average age of posters appears to be in excess of 35. I moved my location to Pattaya and the number of pages fell to 5. Changing again to Taipei, Tokyo and Hong Kong, once again the numbers are way down on what they used to be and the average age is a lot higher.

I realise 10:00 am is earlyish for Thailand, but I have never seen so few profiles even at this time.
Gaybutton

Re: Is Gay Romeo Going Downhill?

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:12 am I checked the old site (I hate the new one).
I too don't like the new version. I'm glad they left the old version intact for people who prefer it. As far as I'm concerned, the new version is a perfect example of "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Unless I'm looking for an immediate encounter, I don't look at 'online now'. When I leave that box unchecked, it shows everyone who has been online recently - and both Bangkok and Pattaya fill the 20 page limit. It is easy to see who has been online the same day or day before, but is not currently online at the same moment I'm online.

If I am interested in someone who is not online, but has been online within the past day or two, when I leave a message I almost always receive a response within a few hours if the person is interested.
ceejay

Post by ceejay »

The short answer to your question is yes, in Chiang Mai at any rate. Most of the time, you only have a handful (maybe 20-35, a page or so) logged on. Of these 75% or so will be old farang 20% Thai money boys (usually older ones who have been round the block a time or two) and the remaining 5% miscellaneous.
I too loathe the new website. If they drop the Classic site I will delete my account. I hardly ever visit these days anyway.
Jun

Post by Jun »

In the UK and many other European countries, Gay Romeo has lost out to Grindr & Hornet.
If I count the number of people on line within a particular radius, Grindr might have more than 10x the number on Gay Romeo.
There are exceptions, such as Germany, where Gay Romeo has remained popular.

The same thing seems to be happening in Thailand. Obviously a lot of the dating is done on phones now and Gay Romeo were slow to modernise and respond to the competition from phone apps. So they have lost market share.

I would prefer it if Gay Romeo regained market share, as their phone app has by far the best free functionality & their traditional PC interface suits me too. Adverts are a major irritation on Hornet and slightly irritating on Grindr.
However, when doing on line dating, it's necessary to go where the boys are. Once too much market share has been lost, regaining it is difficult.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

By the way, in case you haven't noticed, it is no longer Gay Romeo. Now it's Planet Romeo.

I neither know nor care why the name change.
pong

Post by pong »

they used both names for a very long time. Probably for some countries who object to ''gay'' or perhaps such blockers in systems etc.
Its a german site and its main base remains the german-speaking countries here in EUR
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Another site that is going downhill at a fast rate is fridae. Based out of Singapore it used to have 500,000 members, many across the Chinese diaspora and their admirers. It was taken over by a commercial interest 5 years again and has been dying ever since.

Click the number of posters online at any one time and it is always around 1,700. Yet there are always at least 50 listed in each of the listed countries - and these sometimes include North Korea, Yemen and Afghanistan! Click on those countries and you will never find more than one or two profiles at most! It has become a giant con trick.

This is a pity for those who travel. 10-15 years ago I met some great guys from fridae. Now the average age seems to be 45 plus! Time moves on and those who don’t adapt die.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:41 pm Another site that is going downhill at a fast rate is fridae.
Was it ever uphill? Your post is the first time I've ever heard of this one.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I think it was not very commonly used in Thailand. I discovered it when staying with friends in Sydney about 17 years ago. I could not sleep one night and so switched on my laptop. Somehow I found it. Access to minimal information was free. Full information cost around US$49 per year. As I was travelling a lot, it was one of the great early sites to find Chinese and Asian guys interested in meeting in countries outside Thailand.

But I later finally met two guys from Chiang Rai with whom I had actually been chatting on the site for years!
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

I couldn’t care less about Bangkok but here in Pattaya the only 2 relevant sites at the moment are Hornet & Blued.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hornet-ga ... d462678375
https://apps.apple.com/th/app/blued-gay ... 1090274263
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"