TM28 problem solved? NOT for O or O-A retirement visa holders

Anything and everything about Thailand
Gaybutton

Re: TM28 problem solved? NOT for O or O-A retirement visa holders

Post by Gaybutton » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:44 am

Dodger wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 8:21 am
The more pressure the better.
I'd like to see as much, or even more, pressure applied to put an end to the TM28 form too. So much of the battery of immigration laws defies logic. If foreigners are permitted to live in Thailand, then wouldn't it behoove Thailand to let foreigners travel around Thailand, spending money? Instead they create a reluctance to travel because of the paperwork and having to physically go to immigration. While I realize many people are just ignoring it, immigration could still penalize for non-compliance. The law is on the books. It needs to either be removed from the books or at least amended to make it sensible, easy, and put an end to penalizing perfectly innocent people.

Along with that, so many of us are forced to keep 800,000 baht in a Thai bank account when instead we could be out spending it.

They're talking about creating apps to do some of this reporting online, but that's already been in the talk stage for a long time and the online reporting they already have is fine, except for one little problem - it doesn't work. Other than that, it's great.

Meanwhile, since so much of this is self-reporting, I don't understand why it is even still necessary. It does nothing to prevent or solve crimes. The 90-day report, for example. Why 90 days? Who came up with that number? And why do we have to report at all unless we change residence addresses? What's the point?

Oh well, at least there is some indication that pressure is building on the powers-that-be to stop just ignoring these problems and maybe - just maybe - doing something sensible about it. Anybody holding your breath . . . ?

Oh well, there's always "The Geezer Solution"

"The day I don't like living in Thailand anymore, I know where the airport is."
- Geezer