Global Entry

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
thaiworthy

Global Entry

Post by thaiworthy »

I received this email today from Delta Airlines regarding a new scheme to streamline entry into the U.S. called "Global Entry." Can't recall if this was ever discussed here before, or if it's even worth it.

Crossing international borders is always a thrill, but there's nothing like coming home. And now, once you're approved with the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's (CBP) Global Entry program, you can fly through passport control lines and customs.

This voluntary program expedites processing of low-risk, pre-screened international travelers and is available at many major U.S. airports, including Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, New York-JFK, Newark and Seattle. Members use the automated Global Entry kiosk upon arriving in the U.S. and are on their way—no lines and no paper customs declarations.

A non-refundable application fee of $100 per applicant will be charged at the time of application. If approved, membership is valid for five years. To apply, complete an application online and pay the non-refundable application fee. If conditionally approved after review, U.S. Customs and Border Protection will follow up to schedule an interview with you at an in-airport enrollment center. During this interview, a CBP officer will review your application, verify identification documents and eligibility, take your photo, obtain fingerprint information, and walk you through the program.

Once accepted, you're all set to proceed directly to the Global Entry kiosk when you arrive home in the U.S. after your next international excursion.

So, what are you waiting for? Apply today and get ready to bypass waiting in the passport line.

http://www.globalentry.gov/

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservati ... /index.jsp
windwalker

Re: Global Entry

Post by windwalker »

thaiworthy wrote:I received this email today from Delta Airlines regarding a new scheme to streamline entry into the U.S. called "Global Entry." Can't recall if this was ever discussed here before, or if it's even worth it.
]
A close friend has the Global Entry permit and reports it is well worth it, even if only used one time in order to avoid the hassle. He reports it is easy to apply for and easy to receive. I plan to apply for one before my next visit to Thailand.
Bob

Post by Bob »

The airlines are doing just about anything to raise extra revenue and it irritates the hell out of me that what they're essentially trying to sell here is better service. United tries to sell you "priority service" and the other airlines have their own brands/versions. As far as I'm concerned, the airlines ought to be spending their time and energy making the check-in service and security lines less hassle for everybody rather than probably trying to make it even more hassle so some will pay for better service. Hiring more people at the security lines would make a whole lot more people happier.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

The fee for the Global Entry permit is paid to the US government not to the airlines. Not even sure if anyone but US citizens can apply and it is only for entry into the USA.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Many countries are adopting similar measures. The UK started eye screening last year for fast track through Immigration. I understand there have been some problems but the programme is still on track. For some years Hong Kong permanent residents have been able use their HK Identity cards to sail through an automated gate. In more than 50 entries, that has never taken me more than 1 minute. And in Asia/Pacific there is the APEC Business Travel card (only applicable for those who work for companies in the region requiring them to travel) which not only has the benefit of dedicated APEC queues (queues? I never yet had to queue at an APEC line!) but visa free travel into certain countries (Vietnam, for example).