If Hate Group Uses Law, Why Don't We?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

BY MITCH ALBOM
FREE PRESS COLUMNIST

One day, God will deal with the screaming hatemongers from the Westboro Baptist Church. Until then, we'll have to deal with them down here.

Which may mean changing laws, modifying laws and rewriting laws. If that sounds like a lot of work, it is. And if common decency prevailed, we wouldn't have to do it.

But there is nothing decent about screaming, "God hates you!" at the funeral of a dead soldier. There is nothing decent about waving signs such as "Thank God for 9/11" or going on TV and radio claiming God hates America and that "one of His weapons of choice is sending your children home dead from the battle."

http://www.freep.com/article/20101010/C ... hy-dont-we
fountainhall

Re: If Hate Group Uses Law, Why Don't We?

Post by fountainhall »

This is really the same territory as the Supreme Court Weighs Extent of Free Speech Rights at Funerals thread on the Everything Else Board. What I find especially interesting is this -
With the Internet, YouTube and 24-hour news, behavior has sprung up that our forefathers never anticipated. Common decency was common back then. It is in shatters now.
That was virtually the same point I made in the other thread.
fountainhall wrote:I personally do not believe that any Constitution should be carved in stone. It is surely one of the lessons of history that man evolves over time. What was true at the end of the 18th century is certainly not all true now.