Vietnam

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Grimmy

Vietnam

Post by Grimmy »

Hi! I am looking to take a trip to Vietnam with my boyfriend in December. I am in search of good airfare (I know of Air Asia), good lodging (between 1,000 B and 2,000 B per night), and ideas of places to see and/or bars worth going to. I am open to any place in Vietnam, but was thinking either Hanoi or Saigon.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

:mrgreen: Grimmy
lvdkeyes

Re: Vietnam

Post by lvdkeyes »

Having been to both Hanoi and Saigon my choice would be Hanoi. I have stayed at Elegance 3 and found it to be a good place to stay for location, price and friendliness.

http://www.hanoielegancehotel.com
golf89

Post by golf89 »

I have lived in both cities for several months and my choice...without deliberating one second...would be Hanoi, but if you go there in December you must be aware of unfriendly weather. It may be raining for several hours every day and it may be cold and windy as well. If you go to Ha Long Bay...simply a must..you might not be able to enjoy it. This kind of weather can last until March. "Elegance hotel" would be a very good choice.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Air Asia flights to Hanoi leave at some uncivilised hour in the morning (around 6:50 am). Imagine getting out of bed at about 4:00 am... for a holiday.
Vietnam Air fly at more civilised hours, for only a few pounds more.

Air Asia run 2 flights a day to Saigon.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

Can a Thai National get a visa on arrival at Vietnam or do they need to do something in advance here?

Thanks,
pong

Post by pong »

you omitted for how long the stay
AFAIK-as its ASEAN-Thai can get normal passport-only entry (this is NOT a visum-learn english, not every stamp in a pasport is a visum) for max. 14 (maybe 15?) days-same -same for VNese visiting Thaild. But not 100% sure-better doublecheck.
Aslo airlines like AirFrane and very soon QR=Qatar offer flights BKK-HAN/HCMC=SGN, as continuation of their flights from homebase-so always seats in big 747/777s. But then return is mostly very late into the night
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Jun wrote:Air Asia flights to Hanoi leave at some uncivilised hour in the morning (around 6:50 am). Imagine getting out of bed at about 4:00 am... for a holiday.
Vietnam Air fly at more civilised hours, for only a few pounds more.
From their website, it seems Air France has stopped flying to Hanoi from BKK. The excellent Qatar Airways also flies to Hanoi and its fares are cheaper than last minute Air Asia ones. But it does depart Hanoi very late - after midnight.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Grimmy wrote:Can a Thai National get a visa on arrival at Vietnam or do they need to do something in advance here?

Thanks,
A visa is not required for Thais.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The following site has some interesting information for visitors:

http://www.cambodiaout.com/topics/vietnam/vietnam-guide