Is it OK to be gay in Hong Kong?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Is it OK to be gay in Hong Kong?

Post by Gaybutton »

Is It OK to Be Gay in Hong Kong?

Hong Kong is known for its liberal laws regarding finance and business. But how free are lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people to express themselves?

By Jennifer Lai
18 August, 2010

Hong Kong's generous tax laws and deregulated business environment make it an easy place to express yourself financially. But what if you're part of the lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender community? There are a smattering of gay bars and clubs dotted around the city. But is it OK to be gay here?

http://www.cnngo.com/hong-kong/life/lgb ... 728?hpt=C2
Rin

Re: Is it OK to be gay in Hong Kong?

Post by Rin »

The local gay online magazine. See the scene in HK.
http://dimsum-hk.com/
Jun

Post by Jun »

beachlover wrote:Why is it always christian organisations opposing gay rights?
The traditional marketing strategies of the big religions include encouraging people to breed as much as possible, on the basis that their offspring will be dragged along to church to be brainwashed by some bloke in a black dress & join the club (it didn't work with me).
Therefore activities such as using condoms or gay relationships will be discouraged.

These organisations deserve nothing but contempt.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Hear!! Hear!! I couldn't have phrased it better myself.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

beachlover wrote:Could they not just f*ck off?
Are you kidding? I'm expecting them to try to reinstate crucifixion.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

It has always been OK to be gay in Kong Kong - provided you stick to the 'rules' of the game. Many pieces of legislation from Britain found their way on to the statute books in Hong Kong, including the ban on 'sodomy'. Although England (but not Scotland, which has a different legal system) repealed this law in the 1960s, it took Hong Kong (and Scotland) till 1990 to do so. Much of what had been underground, then became open. The first gay saunas opened in 1991. The latest issue of the free Q magazine now lists 18 in operation. Bars and Clubs either rebranded or opened up and there are now about 20. One straight club even opened a special gay Happy Hour early on Friday evenings.

Perhaps because there were so many foreigners/westerners living and working in Kong Kong, western/chinese relationships were quite common before 1990. I was at many gay parties in the 1980s. Now, understandably, there are more - and more obvious - chinese/chinese relationships.

As far as I am aware, there has never been any perceived interference from China, because that would go against the Joint Declaration on Hong Kong's future. In any case, China's main cities are themselves becoming much more gay tolerant. I do agree with the article, though, when it states that the future is in making small steps. Whether same-sex relationships will ever become enshrined in law will depend very much on China and how gay life there continues to develop. But all my friends in Hong Kong are happy with the freedoms they presently enjoy.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

beachlover wrote: I agree... It just seems like it's ALWAYS christian or christian-related organisations opposing gay rights and equality. Could they not just f*ck off?
I deny any connection to these organisations.
tdperhs

Post by tdperhs »

So, you "deny any connection..." etc. Have you ever noticed that using the word "deny" against somebody is a surreptitious accusation of lying?