Gay Business Location Maps

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Jun

Gay Business Location Maps

Post by Jun »

Why do Gay businesses insist on printing really lousy maps, usually with all the roads re-arranged into a grid which does not reflect the actual conditions on the ground?

These maps are usually useless for finding out which part of town the business is in & often not so good for determining the precise location of the business either. Why bother creating a website, if the map is crap? No point in having a website if people STILL cannot find the business.

Obviously this doesn't matter much when businesses are clustered together in somewhere like Boystown, which is known to every one. However, it's not so good if the businesses are spread all over a larger area, like you sometimes get with gay businesses in other SE Asian towns & cities.

If people create a website, why not provide Google map coordinates? Then people can view a proper map AND know where the business is.

I know Google maps often comes up with the goods from a street search, however it often does not, so businesses should consider making an effort to provide decent maps & provide the google co-ordinates.
Gaybutton

Re: Gay Business Location Maps

Post by Gaybutton »

You could always buy a GPS.

Probably the best maps are the Thinknet maps. See: http://www.thinknet.co.th/06/eng/home.html

Bookazine carries the Thinknet products.
Jun

Post by Jun »

The point I'm trying to make is many businesses provide insufficient information to figure out the co-ordinates or location of the place. So a GPs would not help.
Once I know where a place is on a PROPER map, I can invariably find it.

As an example, try to work out where the following business is from the map or address.
http://www.namspa.net/en/contact.html If that's the best they can do, they may lose customers.

Compare how easy it is to find where this place is by pasting the co-ordianates into Google maps. You can place it within the continent, country, city & even within the street. And confidently direct your taxi driver to the location.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I know of at least one restaurant whose website map is completely useless. We looked for it 3-4 times before we were able to find it. The map shows to turn on the first soi after a Y in the road and in reality it is 6-7 sois later.
pong

Post by pong »

just 2 thoughts-based on ''learn to think the Thai way''
1.Thai cannot read maps. simply accept this as a fact of life. (to unravel this apparent mistery: your friendly taxidriver will read the Thai name of the placetogo-and then do as->[2]
2.for 99% of their customers there is no need to find details on maps or google or GPS or whatever. Part of the job you ALSO rent your taxi/motodop or whatever is also to bring you to the frontdoor. In outer BKK it is very common to have the taxidriver call the palce to get exact directions from the place he is calling from.
(I am myself also amazed by the obsession where people want to know busnrs or -times weeks before their still unknown travels-as if the best info would not simply be right at the place from the others in wait-as if they thinkl they are always completely alone-in the smack middle of 1 of Asia's biggest cities).
Jun

Post by Jun »

For a start, anyone who knows precisely where they want to go can also choose a hotel that's near these places of interest.

Those who don't care can keep taking taxis across town.
DanielMonroe

Post by DanielMonroe »

I agree with you about good maps for gay tourists.
The best way I've found to find places is to go by motorcycle taxi.
Those guys seem to know where everything is.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

If you found motorbike taxi drivers who know where everything is you are lucky. My bf and I were looking for a particular restaurant without much luck. My bf asked a MB taxi driver and he had no idea. It turned out we were about 20 meters from the place.
PattayaPlaces

Post by PattayaPlaces »

Jun wrote:Why do Gay businesses insist on printing really lousy maps, usually with all the roads re-arranged into a grid which does not reflect the actual conditions on the ground?
Yes, I absolutely hate those 'not to scale' maps. Sometimes they're just worse than useless. Sometimes they are even used to disguise the location of a place that is so far out of the way, that people wouldn't go out looking for it if they knew where it really was!
Jun wrote:If people create a website, why not provide Google map coordinates? Then people can view a proper map AND know where the business is.

I know Google maps often comes up with the goods from a street search, however it often does not, so businesses should consider making an effort to provide decent maps & provide the google co-ordinates.
Businesses should, but my attitude is - "Why wait for the businesses?"

I've been adding all the gay places in Pattaya to a Google map. I think I've got all the gay places in Pattaya covered now - from the easy to find places in Boyztown, to the more out-of-the-center places like Dave Man Club and Sansuk sauna. Check it out here, (Zoom out to see more places)
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Boyztown

Recently I added all the places in Hua Hin.
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/wiki/Hua_Hin_Gay_Info

While the website is called 'Pattaya Places', it can accept places from all over the world. it's very easy to add new locations - just click on the map and add the name and type of the place. When you create a new place, it creates a new link (like the ones above) with the location of the business in the center of a proper Google map. For example,
http://www.pattayaplaces.com/map/Sansuk_Sauna