Rhode Island Legalizes "Civil Unions"

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Gaybutton

Rhode Island Legalizes "Civil Unions"

Post by Gaybutton »

Rhode Island Governor Signs Civil Union Bill into Law

By David Ariosto, CNN
July 2, 2011

(CNN) -- In a move largely seen as a compromise over the rights that can be afforded to gay and lesbian couples, Rhode Island Gov. Lincoln Chafee on Saturday signed into law a bill that legalizes civil unions, making his state the fifth in the nation to allow them.

The bill -- which was signed just over a week after New York legalized same-sex marriage -- will take effect later Saturday, according to the governor's spokesman Christian Vareika.

The law will provide same-sex couples with a host of new state tax breaks, health-care benefits and greater ease of inheritance.

Such unions are currently permitted in New Jersey and Illinois, and will be allowed in Delaware and Hawaii beginning January 1, 2012. California, Oregon, Washington and Nevada also allow for "comprehensive domestic partnerships," largely considered an equivalent to their civil union counterparts.

Full story: http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/07/02/rhode. ... index.html
bao-bao

Re: Rhode Island Legalizes "Civil Unions"

Post by bao-bao »

To my way of thinking it doesn't matter what they call it - the straights can keep the "M" word, as far as I'm concerned. Just extend the same legal rights and responsibilities to same sex couples and let the churches allow ceremonies when they're ready (if ever).

Any ordained person with the authority to do so could do the ceremony and it'd be just fine with me, or a civil clerk in the city office. Have what other ceremony you want wherever you like.

Good for you, Rhode Island. Can't give you the full 10 points that New York got recently, but I'd give you a 9.