Legal Age of Consent in Cambodia

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
bing

Legal Age of Consent in Cambodia

Post by bing »

While going over the specifications of a Cambodian hotel on line I noticed a statement about no one under 16 was allowed in the hotel. May I ask what is the age of consent in Cambodia?
Gaybutton

Re: Legal Age of Consent in Cambodia

Post by Gaybutton »

According to the following web site, in Cambodia the age of consent is 16.

http://www.avert.org/age-of-consent.htm
funtop

Post by funtop »

I am in Siem Reap in Cambodia at the moment.
The legal age of consent appears to be a grey area.
It is legal for sex between Cambodians aged 16 and over but not legal to pay for sex and possibly not legal for sex between foriegners and under 18 year olds although this may be open to interpretation.
I say possibly as there are apparently Phnom Penh Post reports of foriegners being prosecuted for paying for sex with 16 year olds but I was only told this by a hotel owner so do not know if it is fact true.
Most hotels and guesthouses have an over 18 year old only policy and insist on checking ID cards. This is for the safety of the guest and the boy concerned.
Whether or not this is to comply with the law or simply because as my hotel owner says they "do not want kids in the hotel", I am not sure.
I think it is better to stay safe and not go with any one under 18 at all times. They should all carry ID cards that has their d.o.b. on them.

I believe the online hotel you are referring to is the Manor House in Phnom Penh as I noticed on it's website it refers to not allowing anyone in the premises under 16. However it also states on the same website that guests can only bring guests back that are 18 years and above back to stay overnight and all IDs will be checked.
I actually e-mailed the owners to ask about the policy, not to bypass the under age rule I must state, but to enquire about the number of straight guests there are as nearly all the reports on tripadvisor about the place are from straight couples.
I was told that it is a mixed guesthouse that welcomes both gay and straight people and that although overnight guests are ok they must be over 18 and have their IDs checked. They also stated that there is an extra charge for this and they do not encourage sex tourists whatever they mean by that.
I have written a short post on the Ting Tong forum in the Cambodian Section about it and will also be posting a trip report on my Cambodia experiences in due course.
Take Care

funtop
Jun

Post by Jun »

The Manor House was not charging joiners extra 2 years ago. That must be a new policy. Their room rates are high enough as it is.
funtop

Post by funtop »

Further to the above i have found this report from today's online Phnom Penh Post.

It suggests that it obviously is an offence for a man, well a foreigner at least, to have sex or even solicit for sex with a 16 year old boy.

Be warned.

"A Cambodian court suspended half of a three year sentence given to a Norwegian man found guilty today of purchasing sex from a teenager after the victim’s mother asked authorities to drop the charges last week.

Rolf Letten, 63, who was arrested in Siem Reap in January this year and charged with purchasing sex from a 16-year-old boy, was sentenced by presiding judge Ly Sokleng in Siem Reap provincial court.

Peng Maneth, a lawyer provided to the victim by the child protection NGO Action Pour Les Enfants decried the leniency of the sentence today, believing such light punishments were contributing to an increase in sex crimes in the Kingdom.

“The perpetrators should be sentenced as severely as possible and court judges should use deportation measures in order to decrease such crimes,” she said.

She added that APLE represented hundreds of underage sex crime victims, but that in up to 80 percent of cases the victim failed to cooperate because they stood to financially benefit from the accused…"

funtop
simoncnx

Post by simoncnx »

in the uk is 16
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

I think that maybe..without any money or gifts..then its prostitution which is 18
funtop

Post by funtop »

Hi,
Just to clear up any misunderstanding about the Manor House rules and regs I visited it as I am currently in Phnom Penh.
When the website states that no one under 16 years is allowed in the premises it is referring to the rare family that want to stay there so mum, dad and the son and daughter can stay as long as the children are 16 and over. They do not allow children under that age no matter what
In respect of overnight guests anyone over 18 can come and stay without any questions asked, PROVIDED they have a photo ID.
The owner is adamant that he is breaking the law if he allows anyone under 18 onto the premises not in the guardianship of their respective parents etc.
I have been to the Blue Chilli Bar and other places and not seen anyone under 18 there in fact most appear to be 20 and above.
The guests that have written complaints on other websites allegedly tried to bring boys and girls back to the Manor House that did look underage and did not have any ID. If you check the person's ID before bringing them back then there will be no problem.
There is an extra charge for bringing an overnight guest but if you book yourself in as a 2 rather than 1 person you save a couple of dollars by not being charged this fee.

My Cambodian trip report will be following in due course.

funtop
gertrude

Post by gertrude »

Cant wait for your report..did you happen to go to Sihanoukiville at all?
funtop

Post by funtop »

No sorry,
Just 4 days in Siem Reap and 4 days in Phnom Penh.
The reports should now be on the forum.

funtop