Britons NOT as gay as we thought?!

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
YardenUK

Britons NOT as gay as we thought?!

Post by YardenUK »

The findings from a major survey in the UK has revealed that only 1.5% declare themselves to be gay (and lesbian) - much lower than previously thought. However, the main gay rights charity says the figure could be higher - because many may still be in the closet :lol:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 88191.html
xploit

Re: Britons NOT as gay as we thought?!

Post by xploit »

Apprently this survey was carried out on doorsteps and over the phone, rather than privately on a one to one basis, so it's not surprising that the figure is so low. People are much less likely to admit to something like that when there are other ears around.
penguin

Post by penguin »

It's a poorly put together survey. I've already heard it been quoted to support the argument that "it pays to be gay" - that there are more well off, good job, high earning people declaring themselves as gay. As if there's some sort of gay conspiracy to keep the best jobs for queers.

Of course the truth is that people who are doing well in life, in their job, in a middle class 'liberal' family, are far more likely to tell a stranger on the doorstep that they're gay than a working class guy who is struggling financially is. Also, it's remarkable the number of people I know here in London who for various cultural or even political reasons will not call themselves gay. They have sex with other men. All the time. But they would never call themselves 'gay', which to them is a middle class, white, liberal lifestyle involving going to the gym, wearing expensive clothes and knowing about wine, and which has nothing to do with their lives.

In many ways (here anyway) 'gay' is an outdated and redundant term.
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

penguin wrote:I've already heard it been quoted to support the argument that "it pays to be gay"
I think you might also have heard that from a Thai boy, or two or three . . .
gearguy

Post by gearguy »

The article assumes the percentage who say they are LGBT equals the percentage who are LGBT.

Here's a snapshot of the data:

Category Percentage
Straight 94.8
Gay/Lesbian/Bi 1.5
Other 0.5
Don’t know/refused to answer 2.8
No response 0.5

The study failed to identify the orientation of 3.8% of those surveyed. There’s only one way to conclude, “The estimate puts Britain’s gay community at 1.5% of the total population,” and that’s to assume none of these 3.8% are gay, lesbian, or bi.