The going rate for prostitution around the world

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
bkklove

The going rate for prostitution around the world

Post by bkklove »

I'm really curious about the going rates all over the world.

In Vietnam it would be anywhere between 10 and 20 usd. Locals get it for 5.
thaiworthy

Re: The going rate for prostitution around the world

Post by thaiworthy »

In the US the rate varies greatly, depending on who you meet, what you want, where you meet them, and when you wanted to get together. I don't know if there's any definitive resource for such an answer, so my best guess is starting at $150 to $250 an hour. You could spend less or you could spend more. I've never experienced any "hourly" rate in Thailand, but if you wanted "long time" in the US, it could run you up to a cool grand ($US) for an overnight stay. That's a lot of moolah for an ejaculation(s), if you ask me. These guys are the real pros. They are expensive. They turn on the clock the minute they walk thru the door.

On the other hand, you could find someone cheap in a bar for less than a hundred ($US), but there are dire consequences in hooking up with those sorts of guys. These are not pros, they exist on street drugs, or are underage and ran away from home, but more often are ex-convicts just released from prison. Hardly desirable choices. There is one bar in Houston that is the first stop for the prison bus when it unloads its newly paroled passengers. You do not want to go there. You do not want to speak its name. It's a horrid, disgusting place filled with the worst dregs of life. There are many trashy places like this in big US cities and I have avoided them like the plague for at least a decade.

For me, there is nothing quite like Thailand. There are no hourly rates and far fewer villainous counterparts. If you want to know why the US has such scorn for prostitution, one need look no further than one's own backyard here. In Thailand, I really don't think the word "prosititution" even carries the same meaning, at least not for me. I really don't care about the perspective of the world about prostitution here. In Thailand, a Thai boy's needs overshadow the term quite profusely. Who wouldn't want to escape from poverty, dysentery, and general hopelessness? I don't know, I guess you just can't please some people. And that's their problem.

If you ask me, it's not prostitution people are most offended by. It's the world's oldest profession. We should be used to it by now. It's the male to male part they don't like. And there's little of that dismay among the natives here in Thailand, I think. How can you put a price tag on loving kindness? And who would set a stopwatch to it here?

Sorry for the rant. I got carried away. To answer the question, the going rate for prostitution around the world, wherever that is, may be totally irrelevant to Thailand.

I'm through with that stuff in the good ol' US of A. Tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock. Time's up.
bkklove

Post by bkklove »

I thought it was a great post Thaiworthy.

I can totally see how that "paid be the hour" scenario works out. They probably spent half of that time explaining all the things they don't do.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

Hourly rate? I wouldn't like it, it would put me under some kind of pressure, unless it was so cheap that I don't care. Are the rates for homosexual prostitution the same as for heterosexual prostitution?
bkklove

Post by bkklove »

christianpfc wrote:Are the rates for homosexual prostitution the same as for heterosexual prostitution?
Good question. I've got the feeling that the only thing cheaper in the Thai girlie bars are the drinks. OFFs are definitely more expensive.
TheCornerBar

Post by TheCornerBar »

Ive been a "HO" all over the place. In Houston I paid about $40-$50 for a nights stay {but had Thomas protecting me with a 30-06}. Thailand and Mexico are about the same at $30. Central america has been the cheapest, often free. The young men just want a good meal and a bed to sleep in. I do not subscribe to the underwear models in the back of the bar rags that charge by the hour and take American Express cards.
Grimmy

Post by Grimmy »

TheCornerBar wrote:Ive been a "HO" all over the place. In Houston I paid about $40-$50 for a nights stay {but had Thomas protecting me with a 30-06}.
I think we all need our own personal "Thomas."

:mrgreen: Grimmy
pong

Post by pong »

bkklove wrote:
christianpfc wrote:Are the rates for homosexual prostitution the same as for heterosexual prostitution?
cheaper in the Thai girlie bars are the drinks. OFFs are definitely more expensive.
NO/as with most things, it all depends on bar, city etc. Thais very well know that skyhigh prices exclude many other potential clients, so there is always a lower/cost alternative/somewhere, somehow.
Jun

Post by Jun »

A while back I spent all of 5 minutes doing some analysis, as follows:
Take annual gdp per capita figure & divide by 365 to get a daily gdp per capita figure. This isn't perfect, as my gdp figures are about 2 years out of date.

Then expressing the going freelance rate as a proportion of the national daily average gdp:
Berlin - 0.45 ~1 days gdp
UK 1.3
Prague 1.28
Thailand 2.74

All I know is Thai prostitutes are relatively good value compared with western ones, but the percentage increase over what they might earn in a normal job is higher. Perhaps this is why they are prepared to spend hours in gogo bars?

Either way, it seems like a good deal for both parties.
Rogie

Post by Rogie »

Grimmy wrote:
TheCornerBar wrote:Ive been a "HO" all over the place. In Houston I paid about $40-$50 for a nights stay {but had Thomas protecting me with a 30-06}.
I think we all need our own personal "Thomas."
Yes, quite, we all know John Thomas is a traditional euphemism for you-know-what!

Now, seriously folks, whether or not it is the ubiquitous 'Thomas' wielding it or not, is khun Corner Bar really resorting to sleeping with a Springfield rifle under his pillow? Or am I being wound up!?
Jun wrote:A while back I spent all of 5 minutes doing some analysis. . .

Either way, it seems like a good deal for both parties.
Who knows what you'd achieve if you spent, say an hour, following that line of thinking up, Jun.

Good bit of out of the box analysis there. I like the way you cut through all the garbage to get to the heart of the matter.