Why would a Gay American be a Republican?

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Bob

Re: Why would a Gay American be a Republican?

Post by Bob »

jaafar wrote:Dick Cheney supports gay marriage and Barack Obama does not.

(See how the truth fits in one small sentence??)
Geez, Khun Jaafar, Darth Vader (Mr. Cheney) has hardly been a friend or ally to anybody involved in the civil rights movement. And I'd rather pay attention to what he's done and said for the last 50 years in politics rather than his half-hearted and belated support of his own daughter once he's out of the political spotlight. I wonder if his current view is a result of conversion or coercion...... :roll:
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Jaafar, your information is incorrect. Cheney is an outspoken critic of gay marriage in spite of his daughter being an out lesbian and his wife supporting gay marriage.
Bob

Post by Bob »

RichLB wrote:Jaafar, your information is incorrect. Cheney is an outspoken critic of gay marriage in spite of his daughter being an out lesbian and his wife supporting gay marriage.
Sorry, Rich, but Khun Jaafar is absolutely correct (that Cheney last year came out and supported gay marriage but asserted it's a state-by-state issue and not a federal issue). Included in Cheney's remarks: "I think, you know, freedom means freedom for everyone," Cheney said in a speech at the National Press Club. "I think people ought to be free to enter into any kind of union they wish, any kind of arrangement they wish."

Now, although it's sure nice (and actually rather shocking) to hear that from Cheney, he's still a major neanderthal in many ways. And the Iraq war can largely be laid at his feet.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Bob wrote: Sorry, Rich, but Khun Jaafar is absolutely correct (that Cheney last year came out and supported gay marriage but asserted it's a state-by-state issue and
I stand corrected.
Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

Bob wrote:
jaafar wrote:Dick Cheney supports gay marriage and Barack Obama does not.

(See how the truth fits in one small sentence??)
Geez, Khun Jaafar, Darth Vader (Mr. Cheney) has hardly been a friend or ally to anybody involved in the civil rights movement. And I'd rather pay attention to what he's done and said for the last 50 years in politics rather than his half-hearted and belated support of his own daughter once he's out of the political spotlight. I wonder if his current view is a result of conversion or coercion...... :roll:
My belief is that Cheney has always been a good supporting father of his daughter in private, however in the same light as Ken Mehlmen (who recently outed himself) , the Republican Party looked at Gay Rights as road kill, and red meat for the supposedly religious right in the pursuit of power at any cost. Same reason they opposed Civil Right for African Americans in the 60s and 70s
jaafar

Post by jaafar »

Same reason they opposed Civil Rights for African Americans in the 60s and 70s
I don't know what shovel-faced bum taught you your freeping history, but you really need to know that the Republican Party was the party that freed the slaves, and the Democrats were the party that opposed all that nonsense, right down to George Wallace and Bull Connor (Democrats) who were viciously opposed to the Civil Rights Bill. Getting these facts "erased" from American history has been a major triumph of the Democrats, who were also the party of the KKK Supreme Lizard Byrd, who served as a Democrat for about a million years before collapsing of hypocrisy.

How the freeping Democrats managed to convince blacks to become Democrats is one of the great untold stories of our time, and fortunately, it is all falling apart, right now, as blacks and gays suddenly realize that they are FREE. With equal rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Anyway, we will all know a lot more on November 2nd.

"I have voted!! I hope you don't!! :D "
flossie

Post by flossie »

jaafar wrote:How the freeping Democrats managed to convince blacks to become Democrats is one of the great untold stories of our time
Maybe because the Democrats passed the Civil Rights and Voting Acts? And which party nominated the first president of partly African origin? And which party do most elected African-American officials belong to? (I would guess the Dems but I don't know.) George Wallace and co are history, and times have moved on. These days the Republican party seems to have become the main home for the bigots and other assorted nutcases abounding in the US (not that I'm suggesting Jaafar is either).

Don't worry about my vote - I'm not American.
Bob

Post by Bob »

Nobody's proud of the record of many of the Dixiecrats (George Wallace, Strom Thurmond, and their ilk) but to suggest that the Republicans (versus the Democrats) in the last 50 years have been supporters of civil rights in general is mindblowing (and incorrect to the max). Just look at the voting records, that'll tell you everything you want to know.