Taipei Gay Pride March: 27 October 2018 - Some Photos

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Taipei Gay Pride March: 27 October 2018 - Some Photos

Post by fountainhall »

On a gloriously bright sunny afternoon with a pleasant cool breeze eight days ago, close to 140,000 turned up to enjoy one of the most fun gay days to be found anywhere in Asia. With the Pride March divided into three routes, it’s always difficult deciding which to follow. But each has floats, a wide variety of vivid costumes and a smattering of naked flesh.

Image Image

The theme this year was “vote for equality”, a reference perhaps to a nationwide referendum on gay marriage due very soon. Why a referendum is necessary I fail to understand, as a the vote in Parliament next summer must, as mandated by the Supreme Court, pass a marriage equality law or amend the existing law to permit same sex marriage. Since the Supreme Court ruling there has been a rearguard action by the mainly Christian community which only makes up a tiny 4.5% of the population. So it was interesting that prior to the main March, more than 30 Church leaders from 13 nations voiced their support for Taiwan’s LGBT community.

I have attended 7 of the last 8 Parades. This was as good and as much fun as any. All ages were represented from parents bringing babies and very young kids to old stagers like me and even older.

As in previous years, the national print media gave a lot of prominence to the Parade on the following morning.

thewayhelooks

Re: Taipei Gay Pride March: 27 October 2018 - Some Photos

Post by thewayhelooks »

An excellent collection of images as usual, fountainhall. Appreciate your efforts. As for the guy with the microphone stuck down the front of his arenas, I must say I've never thought of doing that. Wish we had a parade like this in Thailand but alas no.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Thank you very much, fountainhall. Absolutely excellent photos.

There are also many more photos here: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch& ... pride+2018
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

thewayhelooks wrote:Wish we had a parade like this in Thailand but alas no.
Phuket has had a Pride Parade for some years but the 2018 Parade did not happen for some reason.

Bangkok also had a Parade for a few years early in the century. Then it died - in my view because it was overly commercial. It seemed to be organized by the gay venues with participants being mostly boys from the bars and ladyboys. I believe Taipei owes much of its success in being organized mostly by a group of individuals and, apart from the floats, it is these individuals from Taipei, other parts of Taiwan and those from overseas who take part that create its success.

Last year there was a lot of talk about the Bangkok Pride March being resurrected at the end of the year. Then it was postponed into 2018 because of the proximity of the late King’s cremation. Since then I have heard nothing!
jason105

Post by jason105 »

thewayhelooks wrote:An excellent collection of images as usual, fountainhall. Appreciate your efforts. As for the guy with the microphone stuck down the front of his arenas, I must say I've never thought of doing that. Wish we had a parade like this in Thailand but alas no.
I thought that was a rocket!!! as in "pocket rocket"
Then again, it could me a massager.
Maybe a "stun gun"?

At any rate, thanks for the great photos!!!
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

FTI Japanese Olympic skater Shoma Uno is nicknamed the Pocket Rocket because of his height and speed.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

For those not into figure skating, Uno is a 20 year old skater who is only 1.59 tall. Here he is seen with 23 year old heartthrob double Olympic Gold Medial winner Yuzuru Hanyu who is 1.72.

photo: davecskatingphoto.com
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

definitely a massager...and those nipples look like they've had some hard use. :-)

Thanks for the photos. I am planning to go next year. I presume it will be the last Saturday in October as usual.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

fedssocr1 wrote:I presume it will be the last Saturday in October as usual.
Some years ago the organisers stated from that year on the Parade and its associated events would always be on the last Saturday in October. With so many now travelling to Taipei to take part, I cannot see any reason why they would decide to change. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
fedssocr1

Post by fedssocr1 »

thanks. Yes, I am sure I will as well. I went 5 years ago or so and recall it being a bit chilly. I felt a little bad for all of those guys who were parading around nearly naked