10 Years of Grindr -BBC Article

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
Jun

10 Years of Grindr -BBC Article

Post by Jun »

A BBC Article on 10 years of Grindr.
Grindr was sold for $245 million
No mention of any other apps
Reference to a gay bar in London which lost business as a result & had to modify it's business model. Seems to be a global trend. For example, Berlin is down to 1 sauna from about 3 of them 10 years ago.
Now I know what the diamond symbol means.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47668951

Finally, whilst we are on the topic of phone apps, due to all the wierdos & suspicious characters, I think I'm going to get my act together and have one set of profiles at home and another whilst traveling.

An example of suspicious behaviour:
I'm talking to someone who contacted me & lives about 1 mile away (UK). His profile says he's 20. We have a conversation. Eventually he states he's after money for services and declares he's about 3 months short of 18. I stop the conversation. [UK age of consent is 16, but 18 if paid]
Over a year later, I get the same story, from a new profile based in the same location (I had worked out where he was to within a handful of houses in both cases). Same declared age, over a year later. So entirely fraudulent. I don't know what his objective is & the less such people know about me, the better.
Captain Kirk

Re: 10 Years of Grindr -BBC Article

Post by Captain Kirk »

The apps have also changed the game in another way. There was a time when I first came to Pattaya that the general advice was "don't do a first time meet in your room, find out a bit more about your companion before taking that step". Now? well anyone on the apps can track you via the app geo code. I've had a few messages this time around from guys asking "are you stay at Zing?" Didn't click how they knew until I asked and one pointed to the distance indicator on his phone.
Jun

Re: 10 Years of Grindr -BBC Article

Post by Jun »

Usually there is no harm in a bar boy knowing you are staying at Zing. They tend not to be psychopaths, they still don't know which room you are in and if you do get unlucky, you will probably be checking out within a week or two anyway.
I would be slightly more concerned about someone with a fraudulent persona knowing where my permanent home is, but even that is nothing I lose sleep over.

Incidentally, there are a couple of ways of "fixing" the location issue in Grindr:
1 You can turn off the distance indication. However, since people are shown in order of distance away, in an area with lots of Grindr users, it is not difficult to figure out where you are.
2 You can use a "fake GPS" app to move your apparent location to wherever you like. That has various other uses, such as seeing who is on line at the Jomtien bars from South Pattaya or vice versa. Also works better than the Grindr travel feature.