Nasty Anti-Gay News from Myanmar

Anything and everything about gay life anywhere in the world, especially Asia, other than Thailand.
fountainhall

Nasty Anti-Gay News from Myanmar

Post by fountainhall »

25-year old Kyaw Zin Win had a good job as a librarian at the Myanmar Imperial University where he had worked for more than a year. He also had a Facebook account. He was also believed to be gay although he had not come out. On June 23rd he posted details of homophobic bullying he had suffered from colleagues. Senior staff members had forced him to reveal his sexuality even though he had not told his family. The post included screenshots of group chats with colleagues in which he was callously mocked.

Kyaw Zin Win wrote that he bore the indignity patiently, adding that he wished it would end soon. On June 23rd, minutes after the Facebook post, it ended. Kyaw Zin Win took his own life.

The University authorities made the usual noises about tragedy and regret, adding it was assisting the deceased's family and promised an investigation.

One might assume the religious authorities would show sympathy. Not at all. A week later Koebweya Sayadaw Ashinasayar, a Buddhist leader, used his sermon to tell his followers, "I hate the gays a lot . . . beat them to death." He labelled Kyaw Zin Win a "sissy", telling the laughing crowd to "drop dead" if they pity him. He also encouraged violence against LGBT citizens.
"Why should you feel bad for him? When they sent him to the morgue, they asked for two minutes of silence for their martyr. What kind of martyr is he? He’s gay, he’s a sissy, he killed himself, what martyr?"
Perhaps it is not surprising that this monk has been in trouble with his superiors before - for getting too close to female followers.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/mya ... #gs.n56rrg
Gaybutton

Re: Nasty Anti-Gay News from Myanmar

Post by Gaybutton »

"Why should you feel bad for him? When they sent him to the morgue, they asked for two minutes of silence for their martyr. What kind of martyr is he? He’s gay, he’s a sissy, he killed himself, what martyr?"
Meanwhile Buddhism is supposed to be tolerant and without bigotry. I hope this piece of garbage gets unceremoniously defrocked. And he's got an audience full of people laughing, as if it were a Trump rally.
thewayhelooks

Post by thewayhelooks »

Leading monks in Buddhist-majority Myanmar have whipped up extremist or nationalistic violence in the past. Deadly clashes between Buddhists and the Muslim minority have racked Myanmar in the past few years. Helped by the military of course. Thousands murdered.Villages destroyed. Silence from Aung San Suu Kyi.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

thewayhelooks wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:41 am Silence from Aung San Suu Kyi.
Because of that, her status as a heroine has definitely taken a major plunge. Why she would tolerate atrocities goes beyond me. And, of course, what is the UN doing about it? Nothing that means anything. Not even any sanctions against Myanmar that I'm aware of.

I guess if you're the wrong color, the wrong religion, and poor, you get to spend your life as a target of persecution.