Why do some Americans support Trump?

Up2u

Re: Why do some Americans support Trump?

Post by Up2u »

werner99 wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:51 pm I personally do NOT know ONE SINGLE AMERICAN who supports Trump. ALL my American friends despise him.
I know lots of Trump supporters here in Pattaya, just come to the Pattaya City Expats Club. They watch Fox News (Hannity, Ingram, Carlson, Fox and Friends) exclusively and reject Fake News (?). They look past Trump's negative and say that is Trump being Trump.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 am I know lots of Trump supporters here in Pattaya, just come to the Pattaya City Expats Club.
Wow! Talk about my "I Don't Get It" list! As far as I'm concerned, you just posted a very good reason not to go to PCEC. I would just end up having arguments.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:35 am
Up2u wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:19 am I know lots of Trump supporters here in Pattaya, just come to the Pattaya City Expats Club.
Wow! Talk about my "I Don't Get It" list! As far as I'm concerned, you just posted a very good reason not to go to PCEC. I would just end up having arguments.
Fear not there are also American expats there that despise Trump. Of course, most other nationalities at the Club think Trump is a loose cannon that has lost his marbles.
Dodger

Post by Dodger »

Captain Kirk wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 am
Dodger wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:49 am Many of the Trump supporters (not all) come from the ranks of the unemployed who are not always the brightest bulbs on the tree, beer-chugging Red Necks who like the fact that Trump is prejudiced, and of course anyone else out there who can't figure out how to pay their bills and blames the government for their own personal failures in life.
You don't think the wealthier end of the US voted for the Republican candidate?
Only those who stood to profit by having a Republican sitting in the oval office, regardless if he was a criminal or not.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Dodger wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:34 pm Only those who stood to profit by having a Republican sitting in the oval office, regardless if he was a criminal or not.
That's what I'm saying Dodger. People don't care who is Pres (or PM for that matter) or what he/she does or stands for just as long as they get their tax cuts or whatever it is they want. We sadly live in a "me, me and me again" society with no care for anyone or anything else.
@DM

Post by @DM »

Captain Kirk wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:28 pm
Dodger wrote: Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:34 pm Only those who stood to profit by having a Republican sitting in the oval office, regardless if he was a criminal or not.
That's what I'm saying Dodger. People don't care who is Pres (or PM for that matter) or what he/she does or stands for just as long as they get their tax cuts or whatever it is they want. We sadly live in a "me, me and me again" society with no care for anyone or anything else.
In Trump's case I'm not sure the numbers support that conclusion.

So far he seems to have a rock solid roughly 42% approval rating. That's not made up of just unemployed illiterates as some suggest, and, I believe, it cannot also just be the "rich" who benefit from the tax cuts. Urban, well-educated - and often more prosperous - voters do not overwhelmingly support Trump, so they can't be what gets him that 40%++ approval number.

Non-college educated white men voted overwhelmingly for Trump and continue to support him. The predominantly white, middle and lower middle-class voters are Trump's core base and support him even though they did not benefit from the tax cuts for the rich (obviously) and, in the case rural farmers are bearing the the brunt of the costs of his trade wars, etc. That's part of the frustration for some - the Trump core base of 40%+ voters is clearly made up of a good chunk of people who not only do not benefit from what he's done, but actually are disadvantaged. Undeniably there are many who support because they really did get the benefit of the tax cuts, but even if we say he gets all of the top 10% by wealth, that doesn't explain the 40%+ support.

Personally, I think we have to get back to the tribalism argument. Trump the TV showman has successfully pitched himself as the voice of the white working class, and that's how his support gets to more than 40%.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

@DM

I'd agree with most of what you wrote as well. One of the major shouts all during that election was an anger at the political class. A hell of a lot of people made it clear they'd had enough of the same old lies from the same old faces and to be honest I think a lot of them would have voted for Hitler if the only other option was Clinton. Sure they picked the wrong saviour but that anger seemed very deep rooted and probably still is. That's why the next Democrat candidate has to say something different. If they come out with the same old claptrap they've spewed for decades then you all could be heading for another four years of Trump.
All of that said, even if Trump does lose I'm not sure it will make a hill of beans of a difference to the everyday lives of the US general public. Nor do I believe that Trump will really give a fuck either if he loses. He'll simply mosey on down the road claiming to be the most successful president in US history - EVER.
@DM

Post by @DM »

Captain Kirk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:24 pm That's why the next Democrat candidate has to say something different. If they come out with the same old claptrap they've spewed for decades then you all could be heading for another four years of Trump.
All of that said, even if Trump does lose I'm not sure it will make a hill of beans of a difference to the everyday lives of the US general public. Nor do I believe that Trump will really give a fuck either if he loses. He'll simply mosey on down the road claiming to be the most successful president in US history - EVER.
Completely agree 100%.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:24 pm Nor do I believe that Trump will really give a fuck either if he loses.
Except for one thing: criminal charges. If he wins, he'll still be in office when the statute of limitations runs out, meaning they cannot prosecute him on state charges. If he loses, he will be charged with felonies and could end up heavily fined and/or sentenced to prison. And for state charges, the next president cannot pardon him as Ford did with Nixon even if he wants to. The president can pardon federal crimes, but has no power to pardon state crimes.

And I wouldn't mind if he has company

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

They won't put him away, the system is far too corrupt.