Recent corona virus developments

gera

Recent corona virus developments

Post by gera »

1. well known empirical observation that places with higher average temperatures doing better should be complemented by the following observation:
within a given locality spike in virus activity coincides with a typical flu season ( In Thailand June-October).
2. countries with hundred years old TB vaccine BCG (Korea, Soviet Union, China since 1976)doing better than countries without it (Italy, France, Spain , USA). Germans are currently conducting trial with an enhanced version of this vaccine as an intermediate way to fight virus.

3. In a recent preprint authored by several American bioethists the obvious was proposed: development of the vaccine could be drastically accelerated
by substituting the third trial stage ( the efficiency of the vaccine) by trial on a group of volunteers. Namely, a group of 100 healthy, young people is divided in two equal groups. One group gets a trial vaccine, the other one gets placebo. Both groups exposed to virus. Results compare. everybody who gets sick gets the best treatment available. I suspect it is the only hope. If the current situation will last for a couple of years , the world economy will collapse with major disruptions (like riots , mass hunger etc) fully expected.
4. A popular expression "I would not hold my breath" may or may not be appropriate during a pandemic caused by respiratory desease ...
Up2u

Re: Recent corona virus developments

Post by Up2u »

One of the advantages of living in Pattaya (and especially Jomtien) is the weather. In Bangkok during the rainy season it rains daily but here in Jomtien with its mini local climate we get less rain even when compared to East Pattaya.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:07 pm here in Jomtien with its mini local climate we get less rain even when compared to East Pattaya.
That is true. I live in East Pattaya, aka "The Dark Side". I've had many times when I have been speaking to RichLB, who lives in Jomtien, and where I am it's pouring, but where he is, not a a drop.

Actually, that's good. It's my side of Pattaya where the reservoirs are located.
Jun

Post by Jun »

gera wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:39 pm 2. countries with hundred years old TB vaccine BCG (Korea, Soviet Union, China since 1976)doing better than countries without it (Italy, France, Spain , USA). Germans are currently conducting trial with an enhanced version of this vaccine as an intermediate way to fight virus.
Interesting. Here is a link:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-healt ... KKBN21K36K

There are of course additional reasons why Korea, ex Soviet Union and China might get better results than the EU:
1 Lying about the figures: China, Russia and some of the other ex Soviet Union countries. Possibly.
2 Wearing masks: China, South Korea
3 Test and trace: China, South Korea

Also, the UK had universal use of BCG from 1953 until 2003. This was not introduced in S Korea until 1955.
Secondary school pupils were vaccinated, so if we assume an age of 12, that means almost everyone under 79 years old should have it. I'm not sure what age range they covered when introducing this in 1953.

The UK is doing just as badly as the other western countries listed, considering the death rate per capita trend. Unless the curve starts to change direction quickly, the result may be worse than Italy. The same goes for numerous other countries. e.g. Belgium, France, Holland, US....
Undaunted

Post by Undaunted »

"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Jun

Post by Jun »

Undaunted wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:08 pm Promising treatment:
Watch out for Donald banning export of the stuff.
Jun

Post by Jun »

Here's an article on trials in the UK.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... ovid-19-uk

Re:
"They want to trial remdesivir, but have not been able to obtain the stocks they need, because it is being tested in China and the US and because doctors are already prescribing it on compassionate use grounds."