the most promising vaccine goes to human trial this week

RichLB

Re: the most promising vaccine goes to human trial this week

Post by RichLB »

gera wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:21 pm When Pamela Harris is saying that she does not trust "Trump vaccine" , it only shows how stupid she is (Trump is not in the business of making vaccines for the God sake).
Pamela?

I'm unclear about why not trusting the assertions of safety made by Trump evidences stupidity. It seems to me relying on the word of a verified liar (20,000 documented lies in 3 1/2 years according to the NY Times) might call into question one's cognitive skills. Especially when pharma and scientists universally deride the efficacy of an early vaccine.
gera

Post by gera »

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:55 pm
gera wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:21 pm When Pamela Harris is saying that she does not trust "Trump vaccine" , it only shows how stupid she is (Trump is not in the business of making vaccines for the God sake).
Pamela?
Especially when pharma and scientists universally deride the efficacy of an early vaccine.
??? Where are are you getting it from? I have not seen so far any information about the efficacy of any vaccine. And only data can show this. And it will.
When politicians or ignorant onlookers make ideological unsubstantiated statements about efficacy of vaccines , they forget that hundreds of thousands people are dying from the decease as we speak. At this point I do not care about political ambitions of ANY POLITICIAN especially if they try to achieve it by lying , instigating violence and riots or promoting bullshit.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

gera wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm When politicians or ignorant onlookers make ideological unsubstantiated statements about efficacy of vaccines , they forget that hundreds of thousands people are dying from the decease as we speak.
About the only person I can think of who is making "unsubstantiated statements about the efficacy of vaccines" is Trump. Medical experts, Trump's own medical advisors, EVERY pharmaceutical company, and virtually all knowledgeable persons proclaim the dangers of unleashing an untested vaccine.
gera

Post by gera »

RichLB wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 9:07 pm
gera wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm When politicians or ignorant onlookers make ideological unsubstantiated statements about efficacy of vaccines , they forget that hundreds of thousands people are dying from the decease as we speak.
About the only person I can think of who is making "unsubstantiated statements about the efficacy of vaccines" is Trump. Medical experts, Trump's own medical advisors, EVERY pharmaceutical company, and virtually all knowledgeable persons proclaim the dangers of unleashing an untested vaccine.
This is an absurd statement. Who is talking about untested vaccines. There are large clinical trials under way. The most vicious Democrats trying to delay emergency authorization of even one vaccine before elections. THIS IS THE FACT. And such a behaviour is criminal cause the cost is hundred of thousands of lives. Emergency authorization does not mean immediate vaccination of millions of people. Vaccination of several hundred thousands would definitely make sense because it would improve chances of catching side effects sooner. THERE IS NO OTHER WAY OUT OF THIS PANDEMIC OTHER THAN MASS VACCINATION. Do not make a mistake: if you are in a safe place right now , you will never be safe until the pandemic under control EVERYWHERE.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm This is an absurd statement.
Which one, his or yours? Writing in all-caps does not qualify your statements as any more credible or correct than anyone else's.

I agree that mass vaccination is probably the only viable solution. When there is a vaccine that reliably works to immunize everyone and produces no harmful side effects, let me know. That's when I'll want one.

In my opinion, the truly absurd statement is the one trying to blame Democrats as the reason no mass vaccine is available yet. Democrats can get sick and die from Covid-19 too. You would have a difficult time trying to convince me that Democrats want to stand in the way of a vaccine for some sort of convoluted political purpose while risking the health and lives of everyone - including their own.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

gera wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm This is an absurd statement. Who is talking about untested vaccines. There are large clinical trials under way. The most vicious Democrats trying to delay emergency authorization of even one vaccine before elections. THIS IS THE FACT.
To answer your question, Trump is flouting the use of untested vaccines. It's true there are several large clinical trials taking place around the world, and it will be months (maybe even a year) before the results of these trials are determined. And, as to your second "fact"...I've not heard of any "vicious Democrats trying to delay" the distribution of any proven vaccine. Please cite your evidence of such a "fact".
Jun

Post by Jun »

I don't see any untested vaccines in the west. A couple of dictatorships have different policies, but we don't need to concern ourselves with those.

We typically have:
1 Tests on monkeys
2 A small trial of a few hundred people
3 A large trial with 30,000 or more people.

When trials are completed, the results are published. Seems pretty clear to me.

The main thing I would question is why not have much larger trials, in order to gather more data early ? After all, if you look at the Oxford vaccine, in the UK 5000 people have had it & 5000 had the placebo. When infection rates were lower in the summer, we could only expect a handful of people with the vaccine to be exposed to the virus each week. Although, of course it has also been on trial in other countries.

Ideally, I would like to see more transparency on the schedule and the plans for rolling out the vaccine IF approved.
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:41 pm
gera wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:38 pm This is an absurd statement.
Which one, his or yours?
The emergency authorization of Pfizer vaccine is expected in the end of November. It is around 30 days or so. The timeline similar for Moderna vaccine is similar.

What months are you talking about? I believe Pfizer already has the data justifying the Emergency Authorization right now. The delay is due to fucking criminal Democrats who oppose any authorization before elections. This is on the background of a huge surge of cases. Criminal behavior of Democrats will cost hundred of thousands of American lives.
gera

Post by gera »

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... nd=premium
Assuming there is 1 in 100000 chance of a severe autoimmune response to an adenovirus vector vaccine (Oxford , Jand J, Sputnik V) it would be around
70000 severe side effects for the whole world population. Compare with more than one million dead from the virus already.

In my view , the most bizarre aspect of a current response to epidemic is that many governments , regulators and , yes, even some scientists behave as if the current situation is not extremely dangerous and extraordinary.

As a side note let me mention though that there are already documented cases of people who got Oxford vaccine shot and tested positive for Covid several months later.