Putting US COVID deaths into perspective

bkkguy

Putting US COVID deaths into perspective

Post by bkkguy »

Of the 15 deadliest days in American history, 10 of them have happened within the last few weeks - with COVID daily deaths overtaking Sept 11 and Pearl Harbor, and behind only two Civil War battles and a hurricane that struck in the year 1900!

(this was first published last week so "This" is actually two weeks ago and "Last" is three weeks ago)

Galveston Hurricane (in 1900) — 8,000
Battle of Antietam (1862) — 3,675
Battle of Gettysburg (1863) — 3,155
This Thursday - 3,067
This Wednesday - 3,054
September 11 (2001) — 2,977
Last Thursday — 2,879
Last Wednesday — 2,804
This Friday - 2,749
This Tuesday - 2,622
Last Friday — 2,607
Last Tuesday — 2,597
Today - 2,477
Last Saturday - 2,445
Pearl Harbor (1941) — 2,403

first published in a political blog as a list of the 10 deadliest days in American history
with updates from The Covid Tracking Project
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Re: Putting US COVID deaths into perspective

Post by Gaybutton »

Also the total number of deaths in the USA now exceeds the total number of American soldiers killed in World War 2 - by more than 10,000.

Can you imagine? Morticians and coffin makers cannot keep up. I'm wondering how many people find themselves attending 2 or 3 funerals per day - along with wondering if it won't be long before the funeral they attend will be their own.

In the USA alone, statistically it is now 1 death every 30 seconds.
bkkguy

Post by bkkguy »

Gaybutton wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:15 amI'm wondering how many people find themselves attending 2 or 3 funerals per day
haven't at least some of the older members here been there before at the height of the AIDS epidemic in the '80s and '90s?

those that fail to learn from history ... are probably those today who still think wearing masks and getting vaccinated are an anathema
I can’t even be bothered to be apathetic these days!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

bkkguy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:37 pm those today who still think wearing masks and getting vaccinated are an anathema
If they're still alive to do any thinking at all . . .
gera

Post by gera »

Presenting USA as a center of horror is absolutely wrong. Various countries count covid deaths in different ways and some flatly lie ( like russia). The better way (not ideal though) is to compare but what amount the number of deaths increased in comparison with previous year. By this criterion USA is not doing worse (and in many cases better) than Europe, Latin America or India. Anybody who believes that Thailand had only 4000 cases or that covid deaths counted correctly is naive at best.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 am Anybody who believes that Thailand had only 4000 cases or that covid deaths counted correctly is naive at best.
Then at best I am naive. Other than your personal opinion, your evidence that Thailand, along with other countries, is lying or covering up is what?
gera

Post by gera »

Gaybutton wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:04 am
gera wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:32 am Anybody who believes that Thailand had only 4000 cases or that covid deaths counted correctly is naive at best.
Then at best I am naive. Other than your personal opinion, your evidence that Thailand, along with other countries, is lying or covering up is what?
Where did I say that Thailand is lying or covering up? America does not need your crocodile tears. Horror is not happening here. Unlike you I live here. And you have not been in America for I do not know for how many years. You need to stop this bullshit thread.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

gera wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:54 am You need to stop this bullshit thread.
I'm glad to know you are an expert on the status of the entire country simply because you are there. Is the over 300,000 deaths and 17-million cases just a hoax? An embellishment by the news media? All my family and friends in the USA don't know as much about it as you do?

I'll wait and see if others also living in the USA post and tell me they agree with you. In the meantime If you don't like this "bullshit thread", don't read it.

Also, I've had more than one complaint about your manner of posting, but so far I've let it slide. If you wish to remain on this board, that stops as of right now and does not happen again - ever. I don't warn twice.
Up2u

Post by Up2u »

gera wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:54 am America does not need your crocodile tears. Horror is not happening here. Unlike you I live here. And you have not been in America for I do not know for how many years. You need to stop this bullshit thread.
As an American my crocodile tears for my country are warranted. America's leadership has failed in controlling this pandemic and providing the needed economic relief. It is a horror story when my family members have planned surgeries postponed indefinitely because the ICU beds in their California cities are at over 90% capacity.

How Full Are Hospital I.C.U.s Near You? - https://nyti.ms/2IRmmUR
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Up2u wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 am America's leadership has failed
Leadership? In my opinion America has had no leadership since January 20, 2017.