Putting US COVID deaths into perspective

Jun

Re: Putting US COVID deaths into perspective

Post by Jun »

Gaybutton wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:15 am
Up2u wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:22 am America's leadership has failed
Leadership? In my opinion America has had no leadership since January 20, 2017.
The leadership situation should improve in about 33 days.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

To put things in some perspective, about 8,000 people died in the USA each day in 2019. The average number of Covid deaths since the first case is 931 deaths and on Dec 13, there were 1379 deaths. Based on the latest information, one in nine deaths each day can be attributed to COVID-19 since January 2019.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/110 ... ll-causes/
Jun

Post by Jun »

windwalker wrote: Fri Dec 18, 2020 3:29 pm To put things in some perspective, about 8,000 people died in the USA each day in 2019.
This has to be in the right ballpark too. Approximately 328 million people, living on average to 79 years old, so about 11375 deaths per day if we assumed equal distribution by age. As there will be more young people, 8,000 people per day passes the plausibility test.

I'd like to know where the authors of the article in the opening post got their bullshit figures from.
Also, it makes no sense to compare civil war figures, since the US population would have been much lower at the time, so the daily death rate as a percentage of population would have been much higher.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

Frankly, perspective or no perspective, it remains that from Windwalker's link that there is an average of 931.5 deaths per day due to COVID. This equates to about 340,000 per year. Although it may represent about 12% of the 8,000 deaths per day mentioned, it still represents a large number. So, if saying it is really not that bad when placed in "perspective" -- maybe so, but if you or someone close to you contracts the virus, especially if they die, then your perspective may change.

Today, the report for Tarrant County, Texas (where I lived in USA) shows there are 126,000 cases with 3,203 deaths. As mentioned by others, hospital beds are full or near so, people needing treatment for other conditions are having to wait, etc. etc.

Even if Thai officials fudged a bit on their numbers, it still shows that Thailand has very low risk for COVID infection, which can be serious and something I would not want to go through even if I survived - which being high risk (age+health conditions), I probably would not. Perspective or not, if I continued to live in my hometown, I would be at much higher risk. So, that is my perspective on the subject.

As to using statistics to make a point, it depends on how they are presented. My University statistics professor's favorite comment was "figures don't lie, but liars figure." Likewise, if a person has a foot in boiling water and another in a bucket of ice, a statistician could say that on average, they were comfortable.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am Even if Thai officials fudged a bit on their numbers
I'm still waiting for gera to produce any evidence whatsoever to show Thailand did that.
windwalker

Post by windwalker »

2lz2p wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am Frankly, perspective or no perspective, it remains that from Windwalker's link that there is an average of 931.5 deaths per day due to COVID. This equates to about 340,000 per year. Although it may represent about 12% of the 8,000 deaths per day mentioned, it still represents a large number. So, if saying it is really not that bad when placed in "perspective" -- maybe so, but if you or someone close to you contracts the virus, especially if they die, then your perspective may change..
No, not in the least, was I suggesting that it was really not that bad! Just quoting some numbers which were from October. The latest death rate is about 3,000/day which makes that about 37% of the total deaths/day in the USA. For me, these numbers are tragic, regardless of the age of the deceased, either young or old.
2lz2p

Post by 2lz2p »

windwalker wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 12:40 pm
2lz2p wrote: Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:39 am Frankly, perspective or no perspective, it remains that from Windwalker's link that there is an average of 931.5 deaths per day due to COVID. This equates to about 340,000 per year. Although it may represent about 12% of the 8,000 deaths per day mentioned, it still represents a large number. So, if saying it is really not that bad when placed in "perspective" -- maybe so, but if you or someone close to you contracts the virus, especially if they die, then your perspective may change..
No, not in the least, was I suggesting that it was really not that bad! Just quoting some numbers which were from October. The latest death rate is about 3,000/day which makes that about 37% of the total deaths/day in the USA. For me, these numbers are tragic, regardless of the age of the deceased, either young or old.
Sorry WW - I was not referring to your post with my comments. My reference to your post was meant to show the source for the stats I was using. In fact, I took your post to mean that you also consider those stats to be, as I do, to be tragic.