Killing a Cicada

RichLB

Killing a Cicada

Post by RichLB »

I know this is a one in a million chance for success, but we're desperate. For the last month we have been suffering from a seemingly immortal cicada in the flower beds on our balcony. You wouldn't believe how loud it's screeching is. Even with balcony doors closed it's sometimes hard to fall asleep. We've tried bug spray, beating the dirt trying to smash it. and spraying the damn thing with water. All those things work for about 10 minutes and then the bug siren goes off again. Anybody have any other suggestion on how to get rid of the damn thing?
Undaunted

Re: Killing a Cicada

Post by Undaunted »

RichLB wrote: Wed Dec 14, 2022 10:04 pm Anybody have any other suggestion on how to get rid of the damn thing?
Try getting rid of the flower beds!
"In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king"
Gaybutton

Re: Killing a Cicada

Post by Gaybutton »

I'm wondering if it is an insect at all. If it is an insect, the things you've tried should have gotten rid of it. Maybe it is one of those gecko type lizards. Their call can be awfully loud too. Some of those lizard varieties can get quite large and live a long time. There is one, nearly a foot long, that hangs around my house. When I am able to spot him it is usually late at night and his call is quite piercingly loud. He periodically shows up. That has been going on for at least three years.

I'm actually glad to see them. They are harmless to humans, even the large ones, and their entire diet is insects. When they are around the mosquitos and other annoying insects vanish.