The Good Reverend Phelps Wins Court Battle

Gaybutton

The Good Reverend Phelps Wins Court Battle

Post by Gaybutton »

Judge: State Ban on Protests at Military Funerals Unconstitutional

By Bill Mears, CNN
August 16, 2010

Washington (CNN) -- Missouri's tight restrictions on protests and picketing outside military funerals were tossed out by a federal judge Monday, over free speech concerns.

A small Kansas church had brought suit over its claimed right to loudly march outside the burials and memorial services of those killed in overseas conflicts. The state legislature had passed a law to keep members of the Topeka-based Westboro Baptist Church from demonstrating within 300 feet of such private services.

Church members, led by pastor Fred Phelps, believe God is punishing the United States for "the sin of homosexuality" through events including soldiers' deaths. Members have traveled the country, shouting at grieving family members at funerals and displaying such signs as "Thank God for Dead Soldiers," "God Blew Up the Troops" and "AIDS Cures Fags."

The Supreme Court last year had granted a temporary injunction blocking enforcement of the law until it could be challenged. The justices will hear a similar challenge this fall involving the same church.

Judge Fernando Gaitan in a 19-page order, dismissed the state legislation.

http://edition.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/08/16 ... &wom=false
Jomtienbob

Re: The Good Reverend Phelps Wins Court Battle

Post by Jomtienbob »

I have personally been in close proximity of these idiots on more than one occasion. A couple of Gay Rights marches, and once when they were protesting in front of a Jewish community center.

I say the same thing to them as I do to the pro-mosque group. I will defend your right to believe or disbelieve whatever you wish, Please do not try to impose your beliefs on me.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

"Captain, it is much easier for a civilized man to portray a barbarian than it is for a barbarian to portray a civilized man."

- Leonard Nimoy, (Mr. Spock), one of the old 'Star Trek' episodes.

And now - presenting the Good Reverend Phelps in all his glory. Hallelujah!

Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

:roll:

Where do I send my check?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Jomtienbob wrote: Where do I send my check?
To me, made out to CASH . . .

To the tune of 'It's a Small World' :

Come with us, be born again
In Jim and Tammy Land, amen!
We pray to St. Mercedes Benz
In Jim and Tammy Land.

Come to Jim and Tammy Bakker Land
Where a hotel room costs a hundred grand.
Send your check to PTL
and if you don't then GO TO HELL
in Jim and Tammy Land . . .
Bob

Post by Bob »

Phelps and his minions are simply animals that need to be culled. I am fervently hoping that the decision is appealed to the Court of Appeals (and to the Supreme Court, if necessary).

There are limits to free speech that have been accepted by the courts for years. For example, one can protest in the public location (a public square, outside a commercial business, outside the politician's office or legislature, etc.) against a politician but you are not allowed to demonstrate outside of his personal home in a residential neighborhood. And, at least when it comes to funerals, one would think that there ought to be limitations (after all, this particular law that was struck down didn't stop the inane demonstrations but simply said they had to be so many hundreds of yards away from the funeral itself) in terms of how close the demonstrators ought to be from the mourners.
kenc

The Good Reverend Phelps Can Go F#@K Himself

Post by kenc »

Jomtienbob wrote:I have personally been in close proximity of these idiots on more than one occasion. ....
Oh yeah. This clown's minions show up regularly in San Francisco. Usually only half a dozen (women and kids) with inflammatory signs. The cops put up barricades around them to "protect them" while they rant. Good thing too, because there's always someone who finally loses his (or her) cool and goes ape-shit and tries to attack them. Their rhetoric is some of the most vicious, ugly and hateful stuff you've ever heard outside of nazi Germany.
Of course Phelps is just an Attention Whore and we all know it, but this animal protesting at the funerals of dead soldiers is an absolutely abysmal low.

It may have to go to the Supreme court but I think he'll get slapped down eventually.
Gaybutton

Re: The Good Reverend Phelps Can Go F#@K Himself

Post by Gaybutton »

kenc wrote:It may have to go to the Supreme court but I think he'll get slapped down eventually.
I hope so. I have no objection to the good reverend's right to free speech, but I sure would like the right not to have to be forced to listen to it.
Khortose

Re: The Good Reverend Phelps Can Go F#@K Himself

Post by Khortose »

kenc wrote:Phelps is just an Attention Whore
I'm afraid that Herr Phelps is more then an Attention whore. The sons and daughters are all lawyers and they often look to be attacked and then sue the attackers. These cruds actually try to provoke anger to finance themselves.
Jomtienbob

Post by Jomtienbob »

While spending time in New Jersey, they were demonstrating at a Jewish Community Center, while I was there. The decision of the Community Center was IMHO a wise decision not to counter demonstrate, but rather to ignore those assholes.

The center was full of members viewing the circus animals outside with their vicious attire, signs and all. They just did not give them the attention they wanted and ignored them.

It is a lot harder to do when you are in the process of burying a loved one and they are demonstrating at a funeral. I don't know if I would be able to contain myself, or let my anger get the best of me.

Fox should get rid of Greta, and give him a full hour. He would fit in real good with that Hannity/Beck/O'Reilly crowd.