strange emails from Thai friends

christianpfc

strange emails from Thai friends

Post by christianpfc »

On the email-account, which I use for MSN, I sometimes get strange messages which are come from my Thai friends, but I doubt they know about these emails. Here two examples:

(No Subject)‏
blablabla/angelfire.com/edwardskuvano/tyfada.html Want to be snrotg as a loin in bed? Try our bosoters adn uyour giarl wioll be happyy!
Suerb tabs of love

Huhu‏
hiiiii... ehehe huhu :D funny thing is ... ;p
i found a way to see what people are saying about me on msn chats ;)
Anyhow, here you go must take a look... =))

Therefore, it is advisable to have a separate email-account for everything that involves Thai boys to avoid spamming in one's main email account. Furthermore, some of these messages include a list of email adresses to which the message has been sent, so you can track down other people who know this boy. I don't think my friends sent these messages (maybe I should just ask them?), so where do these messages come from? It's obvious that it's some kind of scam.
penguin

Re: strange emails from Thai friends

Post by penguin »

It sounds very much like their email accounts have been hacked or hijacked in order to send spam or phishing attempts. Whatever you do - DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS in an email like that. If you know that the email address is a valid one that your friend has used to write to you before, normally, maybe send him an email to tell him abouut the spam. If you don't recognise the email address, just don't open it.
TOQ

Post by TOQ »

Phishing is what I was thinking also. Pure spam and nothing else. Penquin is correct about opening it, dont. Not only could it contain a virus but you have just confirmed that it is an active email address and then the flood of spam will really begin.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I get a lot of that nonsense too; I simply mark it as SPAM, and then delete it. If I am not sure if it is legitimate, I send a separate e mail to the sender. The vast majority of the time it is SPAM.
christianpfc

Post by christianpfc »

penguin wrote:Whatever you do - DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS in an email like that.
Sure! That's why I disabled the link in my quote. So take this post as a warning (for those that do not already know): It's imperative to have a separate email for communication with Thai boys.
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have 3 active e-mail accounts at present.

1 For long known friends, banks & other business.
2 For use when I advertise a seasonal basis.
3 One for organising holidays & anything with a high risk of spam.

2 & 3 are essentially "disposable" e-mail addresses.
Setting up g-mail accounts is very quick & their e-mail works well. Unlike AOL (for example), which has the spam filter from hell.

There is no way I would give the main e-mail address to any new acquaintance.
On a similar basis, having a spare phone and a second mobile number is always useful for any new acquaintances.