My 20 Favorite Movies

Gaybutton

My 20 Favorite Movies

Post by Gaybutton »

Obviously I like a hell of a lot more than 20 movies, but when I think of my favorites, ones I could watch a million times, these are the ones that immediately come to mind for me, and definitely not necessarily in this order. They're not necessarily classics and they're not necessarily new and you may have never even heard of some of them - they're just 20 of my favorites.

What about you? I'm not looking for your list of 20 movies you think were the greatest ever made - just ones that you enjoy watching. Do you have 20 favorites that you could watch over and over and never get bored?

1. The Godfather
2. The Godfather, Part II
3. The Bridge on the River Kwai
4. Ben Hur
5. El Dorado
6. Treasure of the Sierra Madre
7. The Man Who Would be King
8. A Shot in the Dark
9. Rear Window
10. North by Northwest
11. A Man for All Seasons
12. Network
13. The Terminator 2
14. Taras Bulba (1962)
15. Schindler's List
16. Radio Days
17. Paint Your Wagon
18. The Sunshine Boys
19. The Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 (original)
20. A Night at the Opera
thaiworthy

Re: My 20 Favorite Movies

Post by thaiworthy »

GB's numbers 10, 15, and 19 are on my list too, but my favorite movie of all time is "To Kill A Mockingbird," (based on the novel by Harper Lee). Stars Gregory Peck in his best role, ever. Great characters, great story, a true classic for all time.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

I would have to add GWTW, Lana Turner version of Imitation of Life, Exodus, Judgment at Nuremburg, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and so many others. I nearly forgot Porgy & Bess. Shame on me!
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Gee, there's no way I can sort through my memory and dredge up my "favorites" or "best" movies, but let me throw in some of them that I've come across recently that I've enjoyed and are little known.

1. The Man From Earth - A real think piece that generates lots of discussion
2. Latter Days - Gays and Mormons and if you like bashing Mormons, you'll love it.
3. Peaceful Warrior - Testament to a man's dedication to a goal.
4. The Great Debaters - True story and feel good movie about historical segregation.
5. Trojan Horse - Political thriller that made me wonder.
6. Secret of Santa Vitoria - A fun movie
7. The Bucket List - Great movie that should make you think
8. Big Eden - Sort of Fargo with a gay twist
9. Queer as Folk - Both British and US versions (I can't believe everyone hasn't already seen it)
10. The Secret - One of Oprah's favorites and somewhat inspiring documentary.

Well, that's a start. There are so many good movies it's hard to pick from the list. But as I went over my titles, those are 10 that popped out.
kenaubkk

Post by kenaubkk »

How could you all forget (in no particular order)

- Suddenly Last Summer
- Who's afraid of Virginia Woolf
- Casablanca
- Equus
- The Boy in Striped Pyjamas
- The Reader
- Mysterious Skin
- Harold & Maude

and even Tales of the City if you are going to include Queer as Folk!

ken
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

A few weeks ago I Googled the critic's picks of top 50 movies of all time. I only had about 30% of them, so I got busy downloading them and now I have all the top 50.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:A few weeks ago I Googled the critic's picks of top 50 movies of all time. I only had about 30% of them, so I got busy downloading them and now I have all the top 50.
Yes, but my purpose for this thread was not about which movies are considered the greatest. I'm simply asking which movies come immediately to your mind as personal favorites that you could easily watch over and over again. Also, I've seen some of those lists the critics come up with and I don't always agree. I've seen movies they pick that sometimes I can't understand how they got on a list of even good movies, let alone great ones. I've also seen lists that completely omit movies I consider the greatest. But the point of this thread is your list of movies you enjoy the most.
lvdkeyes

Post by lvdkeyes »

Of course, movies are all a matter of personal preference. In addition to the ones that have been mentioned, I will add Cabaret, Gigi, Sound of Music, Blazing Saddles and What Ever Happened to baby Jane?.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

lvdkeyes wrote:What Ever Happened to baby Jane?
I almost added that one too. Bette Davis and Joan Crawford may have hated each other, but they both were outstanding in that movie. Here's a little trivia. Bette Davis came up with that 'Baby Jane' makeup herself.

If you recall the movie "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte," Crawford and Davis were going to work together again in that movie. Some scenes were actually filmed and in a few of the long distance shots, it's actually Joan Crawford you are seeing. But she died during filming and, at Bette Davis's insistence, Olivia deHavilland took over the Joan Crawford role. Olivia deHavilland said it was one of her favorite roles because it was the only time in her career she got to play a totally evil character. She said for her it was some of the most fun she ever had.

You might enjoy this clip from "This Is Your Life"

And this:
thaiworthy

Post by thaiworthy »

I would add "The Music Man," "Hello, Dolly" and anything with Ethel Merman in it. And in science fiction, "Day The Earth Stood Still" (the original, 1951)