Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

fountainhall

Re: Consequences of Trump's Win - 5

Post by fountainhall »

With the 41 year old Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a TV comedian with no political experience, now the new President of the Ukraine after a landslide victory, perhaps it's time for US comedians to enter the 2020 race. Whom would you vote for? Maher? Colbert? Kimmel? DeGeneris? Of of the older generation Leno? Letterman? O'Brian?

Oh, no! Please not O'Brian! I could never stand his attempts at humour. Maybe Kellyanne Conway would make the Presidency another big lie (oops, laugh) a minute. What a show that would be if she appointed her husband as the Attorney General :o :o :o
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

how about Bill Maher. I might actually vote for him.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:40 pm With the 41 year old Volodymyr Zelenskiy, a TV comedian with no political experience, now the new President of the Ukraine after a landslide victory, perhaps it's time for US comedians to enter the 2020 race. Whom would you vote for? Maher? Colbert? Kimmel? DeGeneris? Of of the older generation Leno? Letterman? O'Brian?

Oh, no! Please not O'Brian! I could never stand his attempts at humour. Maybe Kellyanne Conway would make the Presidency another big lie (oops, laugh) a minute. What a show that would be if she appointed her husband as the Attorney General :o :o :o
Of the US comics my fave is Chris Rock though for this gig I'd get a louder chuckle if they elected Emo Phllips.
Just an aside, each time this Ukrainian guy gets a mention the phrase "no political experience" generally gets brought up. Is political experience of any value to the electorate? What does it even mean? Better at lying?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I'm not totally against those elected to high office having little experience. But they have to be able to lead, and that means leading a country, not a party or a group that has taken over a party. Leadership is a special quality that requires firmness, control, the ability to read the electorate, to raise its expectations, to be its commander in times of trouble and its compassionate and understanding sympathiser in times of grief. They can not be dividers or having run for office to enrich their pockets. All that means they have to surround themselves with good and experienced personnel who can run government departments and provide advice based on their own experience.

Having watched leaders in various countries over my lifetime, I would be hard pressed to find a more effective leader than New Zealand's Jacinda Ardern. Her handling of the massacre in the Christchurch mosques and their aftermath has been exemplary in the extreme. All along that terrible road following the white nationalist massacre she has put not one foot wrong. Her leadership was amazing.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

fountainhall wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:47 am Leadership is a special quality that requires firmness, control, the ability to read the electorate, to raise its expectations, to be its commander in times of trouble.....
If I stop that quote there you could be talking about Hitler. Think my first two questions on voting for someone are: what does he stand for/believe in? and do I trust him/her? Getting a massive majority of the vote must show either leadership or the ability to fake leadership. Being a politician in general seems to me to be one of the easiest jobs to do. Doesn't require any special ability or experience. They sit on their fat arses all day long, talking shite and lining their pockets, pretending they know everything when they know nothing. I could do that standing on my head.

This comedian dude's biggest issue will be that the establishment, whatever that may be over there, will be determined to turn his government to mush. If he dares mess with the wealthy and their money he'll come under attack from them and any friends they have in their media. I really hope he turns out to be a decent guy and has the fortitude to withstand the attacks that will come his way, avoiding the pitfalls of the inducements he will be offered. Takes a right strong character to do that. I'll cross my fingers but not hold my breath.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Has anyone noticed Trump hasn't said a word about his precious wall lately? I think he's probably focused on the Mueller report and that Mueller will soon be testifying, under oath, before Congress. I think Trump is worried about losing his presidency and/or worrying about ending up in prison - where he belongs.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Lock her up! Lock her up! Lock her up!

Where have we heard those words before? It's just incredible what Trump and his cronies are getting away with and Congress doing nothing about about it except talk. I certainly respect what is being said, but it's going to take more than talk to put a stop to it and restore the USA government to what it is supposed to be. This for sure ain't it.

In the entire history of the United States there has never been a presidential set of flat out lawbreaking that more cries out for impeachment and conviction than what Trump and his staff are doing.

Are these people really above the law? Is Trump really trying to establish a tyranny? So far, both seem to be exactly what is and has been going on, and if not stopped will continue to be going on.

Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

This has to be really bizarre. Trump has given a full pardon to disgraced publisher, fraudster and obstructor of justice, Conrad Black. Black served three years in prison in the USA from 2007. But Black is not even an American. Originally Canadian, he became a British citizen in 2001.

In 2014 Canada stripped him of its highest honour, the Order of Canada, which was awarded in 1990 for a lifetime of achievement.

Yet Trump loves Lord Black - yes, he was made a Life Peer by Britain in 2001. Sadly Britain cannot strip him of his knighthood, but not surprisingly Black has not appeared in the House of Lords since 2012 when he announced he would be reapplying for his old Canadian citizenship. Nothing seems to have been done about that since then.

So why the pardon? Only one reason. Last year Black wrote a book titled, "Donald J Trump: A President Like No Other."

Oh how true! How very true! And how utterly disgraceful!