Skytrax Best Airlines for 2018

fountainhall

Re: Skytrax Best Airlines for 2018

Post by fountainhall »

With respect this is the list posted in my first post at the start of the thread. The only error I can see is that the “first class” bar on Emirates is in fact the business class bar. I don’t think first class has a dedicated bar.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote:is in fact the business class bar.
I've never understood why it's called "Business" class. Maybe the airlines mean yes - good for their business . . .
Asia Traveler

Post by Asia Traveler »

I flew EVA for the first time from SFO-TPE and I was not impressed. The food was not a match for my tastes. The seat set up (cubical type like International first) was much like United, Thai, and others but lacked any place for small carry on storage. The overhead storage been was being used by flight crew for their personal items. Service was good. Did not drink any alcohol so unsure of quality of wine selection.

I flew Thai Business on the next segment and it was very good. A place for my messenger bag by me, food was excellent (I order the Thai selection) service was excellent. I really thought the design of the Business Class Cubical was better than United or EVA. United I rank second to Thai Airway for food. I will be back on EVA next month to TPE so I hope the first trip was a fluke.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote:I've never understood why it's called "Business" class. Maybe the airlines mean yes - good for their business . . .
I’m sure you are correct. I recall my first flight to Asia on an Air France 747. Entering I saw the small cabin with huge seats on my left in first class whereas my seat seemed about 200 yards down at the back of the plane!

That same year Qantas introduced an intermediate business class. I guess it was partly because there was such a huge difference in price between ridiculously high 1st class fares and economy. And partly also International business was developing fast with companies prepared to pay for better service and more space to work for their managers. To start with, business class was no great shakes. Nowadays it is better than first class used to be - apart from not serving caviar for dinner and there being a bit less space.

But not so many airlines use the term business class now. They’ve gone all fancy with Polaris, Marco Polo, Club, Senator, Signature, Magnifica, Falcon Gold - and so on. I like Cloud Nine as a title - but have never flown Ethiopian Airlines!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

The one thing I'll never understand are the computers that design Business class seating. I mentioned before that I liked Business on B787 by LOT (Polish) over Qatar. Lot has 2x2x2 seating rather then the 1x2x1 seating on Qatar . You would think that Qatar would be far superior . Yet I had far more personal and storage at seat space on LOT then Qatar. TV screen same size which I don't really care because I load everything I want to watch on my Mac .

Now of course if you like window seats ( I don't care) then Qatar is much better because you get the window without having to climb over anyone .My seat was wider on LOT with similar adjustments and far more storage space etc .

If you look at seating maps. It makes no sense because Lot is putting more seats in same space and yet I had less space on Qatar. Go figure!

I paid for my seats on Qatar and used miles for LOT so end result I felt like I really got screwed by Qatar. HeHe
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I wonder if Qatar have different versions of the 787. I’ve always had quite a lot of space on my window seats. There is a large box with a lid on the left side above the floor with plenty of room for books, ipad, work files etc., and a drawer for shoes front right. But I put my shoes under the foot rest to get even more storage space. With the herring bone layout, every seat is on the aisle. Agree the width could be better - but it’s fine for me.

Haven’t flown LOT since they had ancient Soviet planes with bolts along the inside of the fuselage which iced up!
firecat69

Post by firecat69 »

SeatGuru has only 1 configuration for Qatar. I did have a window seat on 1 leg and in fact on . the leg from CapeTown to Warsaw . My Lot fight was Warsaw to jFK. LOT has 2 configurations but only difference appears to be number of rows. LOT has moved to an all Jet Fleet and I would not hesitate to fly them in the future. Of course it also helps that they release quite a few seats for UA Mileage purchases.
gerefan

Post by gerefan »

EvaAir seem very popular with posters here.

I would prefer it if they had male cabin attendants.

Why don’t they?
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

I assume it’s primarily cost. Female attendants - certainly in Asia - get paid less. Also, I expect the guys see the world for a couple of years and then move on to other jobs. The girls are more likely to stay on and therefore the cost of their training is amortized over a much longer period.

I agree guys make a flight more interesting. Returning from Taiwan a year or so ago, I was seated on the aisle. Three of the four Tigerair flight attendants were tall, slim and drop dead gorgeous. It took some restraint not to grab one or two as they passed! :o
Jun

Post by Jun »

I have seen male flight attendants with EVA, but about 1 per flight. The females have short skirts, but sadly they don't give the guys shorts.

Another reason for preferring female attendants is they weigh less and therefore slightly less fuel is required.