China Airlines and EVA vote to strike

fountainhall

China Airlines and EVA vote to strike

Post by fountainhall »

Pilots from four Taiwan Airlines including China Airlines and EVA have voted to strike. Talks between the pilots union and their managements are continuing but the pilots have set the end of this month as their deadline.

Amongst the pilots grievances are being forced to work on typhoon days, which seems at least to me far from unreasonable! The airlines are hoping a resolution can be found before the Mid-Autumn Festival from 22 - 24 September, traditionally a period when many Taiwanese travel.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/a ... 2003698157

At the same time the Union is blasting China Airlines for reducing the pay for intern flight attendants by 66% for a 60 hour working week.
Jun

Re: China Airlines and EVA vote to strike

Post by Jun »

fountainhall wrote:Amongst the pilots grievances are being forced to work on typhoon days, which seems at least to me far from unreasonable!
Yes. As long as the conditions at the departure airport are fit for takeoff & landing, they should be there providing a service for their customers.

Also, pilots are well paid and their skills are in demand, so if the working conditions at one airline are not to their liking, they should just move on to another one, not inconvenience people with strikes.

Finally, one of the reasons I've been picking airlines like EVA is they have been less strike prone than the militant workers of BA, Air France & Lufthansa.