Health Benefits for US Veterans Living Abroad

daherk

Re: Health Benefits for US Veterans Living Abroad

Post by daherk »

I have been using the VA's Foreign Medical Program for over 3 years. You must apply and be approved to use this program. It's a very simple process. Once approved the Foreign Medical Program will cover any medical procedure and prescriptions directly related to your VA disability while in a foreign country. You must pay the bill (and include a detailed bill); then submit them along with a medical certificate from the doctor to the Foreign Medical Program (CBO Purchased Care) in Denver, CO. They review and approve/disapprove payments and a US Treasury check is issued to cover the expense (my check is sent to my US address). Turn around time is about 2 - 3 months for processing including mail time from Thailand.
RichLB

Health Benefits for US Veterans Living Abroad

Post by RichLB »

I just stumbled across this program by accident. I am not a US veteran, but a friend of mine is and he has a service connected disability. Surprise, surprise - his medical expenses appear to be covered while abroad. The program is called FMP (Foreign Medical Program) and is administered by the VA. Has anyone here used this program or has more information about it?

Here's a link describing it:

https://www.benefits.gov/benefit/567