A poll on President Obama

How do you feel Barak Obama is doing as President of the United States?

1. Excellent
31%
2. Terrible
17%
3. OK
20%
4. He is so much better than Bush that I think he is OK
31%

Total votes: 99

Rin

Re: A poll on President Obama

Post by Rin »

Jaafar since you seem to be an avowed repub I knew you would be interested in the latest from the RNC.

"The Republican National Committee has announced it's changing the emblem of
the Republican Party - from an elephant to a condom. The Republican National
Chairman explained that the condom more clearly reflects the Party's current
stance... owing to the fact that a condom accepts inflation, halts
production, destroys the next generation, protects a bunch of pricks, and
gives you a sense of security while you're actually being screwed. Please make
certain your Republican friends make the appropriate changes on any of their
campaign literature."
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

Rin wrote:Ken Mehlman, President Bush's campaign manager in 2004 and a former chairman of the Republican National Committee, has told family and associates that he is gay.

As long as there are Quislings like this that are gay it will be difficult to make progress in civil rights for gays in America. This guy was a proponent of Bush's anti-gay rhetoric. What hypocrites there are in politics of all persuasions.

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arc ... gay/62065/
If you have not already seen it, you might like the movie "Outrage". It addresses this very issue and centers on outing various politicos who have taken anti-gay positions and yet are gay themselves. It is available on Vuze.
RichLB

Post by RichLB »

jaafar wrote: Then you can explain this to me: Barack Obama ran for the White House, and won, vocally opposed to gay marriage, which he still opposes. He has been in the White House for two years, and has done absolutely nothing about "Don't Ask, Don't Tell." Obama attorneys have even appeared to defend DOMA.
I'm not the most politically savvy guy on here, but I think you are somewhat misinformed. It's true, Obama does not support gay marriage on the basis of his Christian (note, NOT Muslim) beliefs, but he has said that he believes gays should be granted all the same rights and priveleges afforded straights vis a vis marriage. He has also said that this is a constitutional issue and not one in the domain of the presidency.

As to "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Obama is firmly opposed to it and has appointed a commission to investigate how it can be brought to an end with minimum disruption within the ranks. Sure, he could remove it with the stroke of a pen, but it seems much more responsible to co-opt the support of both Congress and the military first. This is hardly doing "absolutely nothing"

And I simply have not seen any reports of Obama attorneys appearing anywhere to defend DOMA - they certainly weren't witnesses in the recent Proposition 8 trial and as far as I know the issue has not been brought up in Congress. Where did they make these appearances?
catawampuscat

Post by catawampuscat »

I find it unfortunate that US political issues are on the Thailand forum..
why bother to have separate forums? why bother with rules?
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

catawampuscat wrote:I find it unfortunate that US political issues are on the Thailand forum..
why bother to have separate forums? why bother with rules?
You're right. Now it's moved.