Your bf wants to see "Hellboy"? Be prepared!

fountainhall

Your bf wants to see "Hellboy"? Be prepared!

Post by fountainhall »

Was persuaded to take my bf to see "Hellboy" at the iMax Theatre in Paragon yesterday. I did not expect much - but that expectation was way above what I watched. Definitely amongst the worst movies I have ever seen. Just one computer-generated fight scene after another, ridiculous story lines, dreadful acting (apart from the excellent Ian McShane) and execrable dialogue. I have quite enjoyed some of these super hero movies. I should have been paid a lot to watch this one! Oh, and even my bf only sort-of enjoyed it!
Gaybutton

Re: Your bf wants to see "Hellboy"? Be prepared!

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:57 am Definitely amongst the worst movies I have ever seen.
I would have expected that from the title alone. So many movies today are so-called super hero movies and so-called horror movies - and the last horror movie that actually scared me was when 'The Exorcist' came out in 1973.

I just don't bother with the garbage available today. I'd rather watch Michael Landon in 'I Was a Teenage Werewolf' than any of garbage available these days. At least that garbage movie had Michael Landon.

Now even more Jesus movies and TV programs are showing up. How many do we need? I prefer watching some televangelist with the southern accent pronouncing it Jay-uh-zuz. At least that's good for a laugh, especially when they start trying to get people to send money.

Whatever happened to great movies? Don't they make them anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw a movie on the scale of 'Ben Hur,' 'The Bridge on the River Kwai,' 'Dr. Zhivago', or 'Lawrence of Arabia.'
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:59 amWhatever happened to great movies? Don't they make them anymore? I can't remember the last time I saw a movie on the scale of 'Ben Hur,' 'The Bridge on the River Kwai,' 'Dr. Zhivago', or 'Lawrence of Arabia.'
Not surprising that three of these movies were based on great stories and with the excellent David Lean as director. That said, though, I thought Lean's final film 'A Passage to India' based on the E. M. Forster novel, despite being another great story and boasting a superb cast, was badly flawed not least in the casting of Alec Guiness as an Indian Professor.

But I don't agree that very good movies even great ones are not made now. I recently watched 'The Favourite' which I thought superb and 'Bohemian Rhapsody' extremely good. Since Spielberg's massively moving 'Schindler's List' (I saw it in a small cinema in Tokyo packed with a young Japanese audience almost all of whom were in tears at the end), there have been many movies I would put in my very good list, including the heart-tugging 'We Need to Talk about Kevin' with Tilda Swinton's magnificent performance as the mother of a boy who has massacred some of his schoolmates, 'The King's Speech', 'Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy', Casey Afleck in 'Manchester by the Sea', the superbly funny 'Grand Budapest Hotel' and even Spielberg's slow moving excellently acted 'Bridge of Spies'. Of those on the grand scale of the Lean movies or 'Ben Hur' I'd happily put Bertolucci's 'The Last Emperor' with 'Gladiator' not far behind.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

I love my movies as I mentioned recently in another post but Hellboy would never be on my watch list. I do suffer the same fate as fountainhall in that any time the bf wants to go to the cinema I get treated to the likes of hellboy, Transformers or other such Marvel Universe superhero nonsense. He loves them, I hate them. I have a particular penchant for horror movies, not that they scare me, more that the good ones make me laugh.