Yet Another Gun Massacre

fountainhall

Yet Another Gun Massacre

Post by fountainhall »

I switched on the television this morning and heard once more the familiar refrains - “hearts and prayers”, “we’ll get through this”, “the community will come together” and so on and so on. All sadly meaningless! 11 dead, more injured in yet another gun massacre in America, this time in a state that allows guns to be carried openly. So all anyone who bears a grudge need do is reach for their gun or guns - and boom! No need for a verbal diatribe or a punch in the jaw. Nope! Bang! Bang! You lot are dead!

I’m not American. I cannot fathom in any way why this love of guns and tolerance for continual massacres is acceptable. To me it’s utter nuts! There was a massacre of young school kids in Scotland a few decades ago. The UK tightened up its gun laws big time. There was a massacre in Tasmania. Australia tightened its gun laws. After the recent massacre in Christchurch, New Zealand immediately tightened its gun laws.

All the USA does is talk about mental health and red flags. So these are the way to reduce what is in essence a culture of violence? But still they continue. For a so-called God fearing country, “Thou shall not kill” sounds more than hollow.

Gaybutton

Re: Yet Another Gun Massacre

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:25 am To me it’s utter nuts!
Me too. With Trump in office and a Republican senate, I expect absolutely nothing to be done about it. In the USA because of this gun lunacy nobody at any age is safe anywhere.

This was today's massacre. I wonder who is alive today, will be dead because of some nut with a gun tomorrow.

How long will it be before we're reading about the next mass shooting? If it's more than a matter of a few days, I'll be very surprised.

My solution was originally meant tongue-in-cheek. Now I mean it seriously. If the USA's Constitution forbids banning of guns, then nothing in the Constitution forbids banning bullets.

"A well regulated militia . . ." Fine. Start regulating it.
Captain Kirk

Post by Captain Kirk »

Another shopping mall attack by the latest nutter in Texas. Reports of 19 dead. What will Trump do? Guns for shop assistants maybe.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

Captain Kirk wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:18 am What will Trump do?
Both Trump and Pence did the same as usual. They offered their thoughts and prayers. Other than that, nothing.

Why am I not surprised? And why am I not shocked at seeing yet another mass shooting in the news? It has actually become routine. When will the USA figure out that the gun laws, background checks, waiting periods, etc. aren't working? Well regulated militia.

Isn't that great? In the USA if you so much as set foot outside your door, now you can't be sure you'll still be alive to go back inside.

In fairness, most of the presidential candidates told us all about how heartbroken they are, and that's about it.

Don't worry - it won't be long until the next mass shooting - and the one after that - and the one after that - and the one after that . . . And in response you can expect the politicians to do their usual - zilch. Talk about it the day it happens, and totally forgotten the next.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:02 am Why am I not surprised? And why am I not shocked at seeing yet another mass shooting in the news? It has actually become routine. When will the USA figure out that the gun laws, background checks, waiting periods, etc. aren't working? Well regulated militia.
The death toll has risen to 20. And the 21-year old who perpetrated this atrocity drove a long way to get to El Paso. From what we know, he is alive and was earlier posting far right, white America propaganda on the web.

Why are the elected representatives of the people of the USA not up in arms {sic} about these continuing massacres of innocent civilians? Why aren't the good people of the United States rising up in protest at this continuing and increasingly regular series of senseless loss of life? We are told the majority of them are in favour of stricter gun laws.. Great! But what do they do about it? Precious little as far as I can see, other than to mouth platitudes.

The ordinary people of Hong Kong objected to one extradition bill. 3,000 of the territories top lawyers came out in a silent and largely unreported street march against the bill. Almost 30% of the population then came out into the streets in a peaceful protest. Even though the regular protests have expanded their agenda, one proposed law activated a huge percentage of the population to march against it. They took it upon themselves actually to do something.

I do not draw any other comparison between two very different countries and issues. But when the mass of the population is against something, doing something concrete about it can be far more effective than just sitting at home and muttering, "Oh no! Not again! Someone should change the law!" The only answer I get from friends in the USA is "We''ll do it at the ballot box." Oh really? And what has that achieved in recent decades to stop mass shootings? Seemingly, almost nothing!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:07 am Oh really? And what has that achieved in recent decades to stop mass shootings? Seemingly, almost nothing!
All I can see is this keeps getting worse and worse and happens more and more often. All this stuff about keeping guns out of the hands of people who would do this is nothing but a lot of bullshit. It isn't working.

The only question in my mind is how soon will the next mass shooting occur. It won't be long.
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

Gaybutton wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:50 am All I can see is this keeps getting worse and worse and happens more and more often. All this stuff about keeping guns out of the hands of people who would do this is nothing but a lot of bullshit. It isn't working.
Agreed. And clearly a considerable major of US citizens also agree. But no one does anything about it! If it is not working, how do American citizens as a whole expect that it will work? What will they do to ensure it does not happen again? All I see is howls of anger - and zero action!
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:06 am What will they do to ensure it does not happen again? All I see is howls of anger - and zero action!
Regarding howls of anger, I don't even see very much of that anymore. In the USA, living with these incidents apparently has become the "new normal".

How much would you like to bet that not a single politician can remember the name even 1 victim of any of the mass shootings.

The only things I can think that can of that maybe could prevent more incidents are things I know damned well won't happen, such as repealing the second amendment, another constitutional amendment, banning gun shows, banning firearms that can hold more than one bullet, voting politicians who support the NRA and guns out of office, even banning bullets altogether.

Other than that, there will be nothing but talk the day it happens, maybe additional talk for two or three days, then it will be completely forgotten - until the next incident. I'll even give you an example: A little less than 2 years ago, remember the Las Vegas massacre that killed 22 people and wounded over 400 people? Without looking it up, does anyone even remember the name of the shooter and/or what became of him?

If more than three or four weeks go by without yet another incident, I will be amazed. Of course, I guess we can just ignore the routine daily individual gun murders.

Whoever the next set of victims will be, no need to worry - after you are killed, the thoughts and prayers of the politicians will be with you . . .

El Paso Walmart rampage marks 250th mass shooting in 215 days

by Susan Miller, USA TODAY

August 3, 2019

The gunfire that tore through a Walmart jammed with back-to-school shoppers on Saturday marked another bleak milestone in a nation pocked by gun violence: the 250th mass shooting of 2019.

And the rampage in El Paso, which left 20 dead and 26 injured, notched an even darker statistic: It occurred on the 215th day of the year, meaning there have been more mass shootings than days so far this year.

The massacre at the Walmart near the Cielo Vista Mall became the nation's latest mass shooting as defined by the Gun Violence Archive, a not-for-profit organization that provides online public access to information about gun-related violence.

The archive categorizes mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people were shot or killed, not including the shooters. So far this year, 522 people have died in mass shootings and 2,040 have been injured, according to the data.

The incident also came in a particularly painful week: Two people were shot and killed at a Walmart store in Southaven, Mississippi, south of Memphis on Tuesday, and three people were killed by gunfire Sunday at the Gilroy Garlic Festival in northern California.

And it follows two other high-profile shootings earlier this year.

A longtime city worker opened fire in a building that houses Virginia Beach government offices on May 31, killing 12 before he was gunned down by police.

On Feb. 15, an employee at a manufacturing plant in Aurora, Illinois, opened fire during a disciplinary meeting where he was dismissed. He wounded one other employee and five of the first police officers to arrive at the suburban Chicago plant before he was killed during a shootout with police.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 913486001/
fountainhall

Post by fountainhall »

First reports are now coming in about a second gun massacre today, this time in a bar in Dayton Ohio at 1:55 am. Initial reports tell of 7 killed and at least 24 injured. The murderer used a semi-automatic weapon. A tweet from someone on the scene advises the shooter has been injured.
Gaybutton

Post by Gaybutton »

fountainhall wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:21 pm First reports are now coming in about a second gun massacre today, this time in a bar in Dayton Ohio at 1:55 am. Initial reports tell of 7 killed and at least 24 injured. The murderer used a semi-automatic weapon. A tweet from someone on the scene advises the shooter has been injured.
This is breaking news and going on as I post this. At this moment there are conflicting reports as to numbers of injuries and deaths.

I wish I could say I'm even surprised this is happening only 12 hours after the El Paso incident, but if I'm surprised at all, it's not that there is another shooting incident. I was not expecting another one so soon, but here it is.

Thoughts and prayers - coming up . . .

Doing anything serious and effective to stop these incidents - not coming up . . .

If anyone in the USA wants to commit suicide, you don't have to bother figuring out a method. All you have to do is just go outside.

See: https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/dayton-o ... -shooting/